• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Rat

Desert Rat
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Prospecting

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Are there any Magazine besides the GPAA dedicated to this great hobby?

#2 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:05 PM

Yep the ICMJ Reno Chris writes for http://www.icmj.com/ biggrin.gif

It blows the GPAA rag away, the GPAA advises people to enter old mines, magically turns "desert gold" into "mountain gold" and then back to "desert gold" all in the same year and also will give you directions to places that take you 80 miles out of your way to get to an easy spot ohmy.gif

They also write articles about the "Bradshaw Mountains" and then put in mountain pictures with the disclaimer that the mountains in the picture may or may not be the Bradshaws laugh.gif WTF

The ICMJ publication is far superior to the GPAA publication

#3 Wirechief

Wirechief
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

I know one thing Rod, the more I learn about the GPAA the more disappointed I become in this organization. The ICMJ is an excellent magazine and Scott is a really nice fellow. Dah Dit Dah

John Tomlinson,CET icon_mrgreen.gif

#4 Reno Chris

Reno Chris
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

It seems self-serving to reply to this, but, it is true that if you read for the content of what the magazine has to say, the ICMJ Mining Journal blows the doors off the GPAA magazine. On top of that, we publish monthly, and the GPAA magazine only comes out every other month.

The GPAA is not a bad organization, they actually do a lot for prospectors, they are the only nationwide club / organization, and to be honest have brought many thousands of guys into this sport, through the TV programs on their TV channel.

Chris

#5 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

The GPAA is not a bad organization, they actually do a lot for prospectors, they are the only nationwide club / organization

I completely agree Chris biggrin.gif

#6 Desert Rat

Desert Rat
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Rod @ Jun 22 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree Chris biggrin.gif

Ive never seen ICMJ on stands, where can I find them? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

#7 Reno Chris

Reno Chris
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

Stands usually only carry magazines with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Very few standard magazine stands carry either magazine - just not enough general interest to make it worth while to sell.

To get the ICMJ prospecting and mining Journal, you have to either:

1) Go to a prospecting shop, most will have it;
(pretty sure Travis' shop there in Phoenix has it)

2) Some rock shops carry it (some do, some dont);

3) Subscribe

Chris

#8 Reno Chris

Reno Chris
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Ooops, duplicate post.

#9 fredmason

fredmason
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

There is an Australian magazine available from Chris Gholson...(Rod if this is a no-no please delete)...the name is Gold, Gem and Treasure. It has mostly Australian based articles but also the odd US or other country. The tips on prospecting and use of detectors are worthwhile...

fred

#10 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

There is an Australian magazine available from Chris Gholson...(Rod if this is a no-no please delete)...the name is Gold, Gem and Treasure. It has mostly Australian based articles but also the odd US or other country. The tips on prospecting and use of detectors are worthwhile...

No problem at all Fred, I have nothing against Chris or AZO.

Only met Chris once for about 5 seconds, seemed like a plesant fellow biggrin.gif

I just don't like the fact AZO won't acknowledge the fact (stated by Minelab) that NuggetFinder coils can damage GP Extremes eyesrolling.gif , seen it myself twice.
Minelab admitted the coil was the isuse to Jim P. and Laszlo doh1.gif
Yep I'm riding a dead horse into the ground but as a GP Extreme owner I think they should at least state this on their website
080402gudl_prv.gif

#11 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Desert Rat @ Jun 22 2008, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there any Magazine besides the GPAA dedicated to this great hobby?

You can get the ICMJ at at Barnes & Noble book stores, I get mine from the libary book sales because someone donates them every month. There are others that have some gold stories and Eastern & Western Treasures has a special Gold & Silver issue every year. The links are:
http://www.losttreasure.com/

http://forum.treasurenet.com/ This forum has sections on dredging ,panning & sluicing, just scroll down.

http://www.treasuren.../se=Silver-Gold You can get the current and past issues here.

Action Mining at one time Printed some very good practical mining magaizines, you can sometimes find back issues on eBay or online used magazine sellers.

ICMJ is the best , it used to be just the plain " California Mining Journal" and you can find back issues easily, even complete sets ( Don't I wish I owned a complete set) .

The best issue (In my opinion) that ICMJ ever printed in recent time is the one in the picture.
Max

Attached Thumbnails

• ICMJ0001.jpg

#12 Desert Rat

Desert Rat
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:36 PM

I swung in and saw Travis the other day and picked up a ICMJ, love it thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users