VAC PAC's

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bob T.

Bob T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

How many people on this forum own and use a vac pac?

I have been mining for many years but have never owned or used a vac pac.

My question's are what brand or at least what brand of engine do you find to be the most efficient on the vac pac, ie. cc, hose size ect. ect...

How about the suction? Are they as strong as a medium size shop vac.?

I can build one for less than half price of a factory unit. I may go this way as I believe it would only take a couple hours once I have the parts. Any ideas on this?

Over the last year I have located several locations that need the immediate attention of a good vac with good suction.

Bob T.

#2 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

I use one, and made it myself. This is one project that I really believe you will save some money if you do it yourself.
They are worth it ,and do pick up gold.
I used a Echo hand held blower for mine, but there are a couple other brands (stihl,homelite,poulan,soyo,) that will do just as good.
If you are drywashing, then it is almost a must have.
Seriously , you will wonder how you ever did without it.

#3 Jose

Jose
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 582 posts
  • Equipment:Minelab GP3000, Keene 140 Drywasher, Yamaha 660 Rhino, Recirculating Sluice

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:07 PM

I too built my own at considerable savings. The vac is indispensible. Another must have item. You're leaving gold behind if you're not using one......

#4 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:50 AM

I have built about 10 of them for myself and others since 1982.
I prefer Echo 1000 series blowers, Stay away from upright blowers, makes vac too tippy.
Use standard shop vac hose's, widely avalable.
You dont need screw on lid but it helps if you use motor for a handle. ( See Pic)
Do a search ((Top right of this page) for the many past posts on this subject and my and others pictures of
different ideals, also look at past posts about (Static) some of us get it ,others don't BUT do not take a chance
keep gas cans away from Vac Pak and ground before fueling, on a dry very low humidity day mine will zap hell out of me, you can hear the "ZAP".
Use a bucket with holes for a stand to keep motor out of dust if you also use it to power your drywasher.(See Pic)
Max

http://i156.photobuc.../DCP04611-1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DCP04599.JPG

#5 fishing8046

fishing8046
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

I have a Dewalt 18v cordless vacuum and it works great! It is light weight when empty and fairly quite. So for just testing it is only around $80.00

#6 Nuggethunting

Nuggethunting
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hey Bob,

I recently purchased a Keene 140 along with a Vac-Pac. The Vac-Pac works great, but noticed if the ground is a bit damp it's tough to get all the cracks/crevices sucked up. The first spot I used it I found just over a Dwt of size smaller chunky gold in a small 5x2 section that was only about 6-inch deep max.

If you're into drywashing, the Vac-Pac works hand-in-hand with it.

Take care,

Rob Allison
www.nuggethunting.com

#7 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,477 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

I also use the 140 with a vac pac, got mine from Russ a few years back and a smokin' deal too brows.gif

Yeppers if its damp you have to do some scraping with a trowel.

We used to make vacs from Homelite HB180's but the last few years I just buy them.

#8 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hey there Bob T------

Well, if you were asking about drywashers and vacs, you definitely got the right people talkin to ya....

If you were asking about vacs for crevicing, cleaning bedrock surfaces, and backpacking them into remote locations...

Bingo, Bango, Bongo............I gotz some pics her for ya..

These are two of my full-share partners in " wyldkatt minin' ".........Agent Orange; and the little one is, Blueberry.........

A.O. is a Echo PB-210.......BB is a 12volt rechargeable "wet/dry"..........Any questions???.......just post em!!!!!

Hope the pics help Bob...............good luck 2 u 2......... ~wyld~

sure hope they posted BOB....... they didn't...........soon as I hear back from Rod, I'll post em'.....sorry all

#9 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,477 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Picture Test

SNV34578.JPG

#10 Bob T.

Bob T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

I will put it to good use.

Bob T.

#11 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

hey Bob........thanks to Rod.............I think I got em coming to you now.......

100_0591.JPG

100_0592.JPG

100_0593.JPG

100_0594.JPG

100_0595.JPG

Kewl..............................

#12 Bob T.

Bob T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Wyldkatt,

Thanks for the info.

On that rechargable thing, how long will it run before it's ready for a recharge??? 10 maybe 15 min.???????????

How is the suction compared to the gas vac pac??

Bob T.

#13 fishing8046

fishing8046
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

I have five batteries for my cordless vacuum I can fill it up with one which is about a half of a 5 gallon bucket. The best thing is that empty it's light weight and while I'm detecting I can bring it and hit the good spots. It is plenty strong the only time I need to assist it by digging is when it's hard pack wet clay stuff.

#14 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Bob T. @ Aug 7 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wyldkatt,

Thanks for the info.

On that rechargable thing, how long will it run before it's ready for a recharge??? 10 maybe 15 min.???????????

How is the suction compared to the gas vac pac??

Bob T.

Hey Bob,
Sounds like "fishing" has the better unit to me.....there's no replaceable batteries on mine....
I would suggest cutting half of the locks off of the bucket lids though, they will last longer, and open and close easier....
Unless someone has a line on "screw-on" lids............
So how bout it Fishing..........what kind of cordless have ya got out there???.........R U sharing???

~wyld~

P.S.-----------by the way..........no comparison on the suction thing.................

#15 fishing8046

fishing8046
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

It's a Dewalt 18 volt wetdry vacuum it will also run on 110v power you can get it from Home Depot For me what's the biggest plus is that it's not that loud Being down south I don't need something running to beat the band I want to be aware of where I'm at at all times so to much noise would just be calling in the border bandits!

#16 Bob T.

Bob T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 448 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

I have found another vac that kind of got my attention.

This thing is 24V and uses a Li-ion batt.

Will cost a bill, on sale. Have to check to see if you can replace the batt's. They claim that it has 20% more power.

It may weigh a bit more than some of the others, I think they said that it comes in at about 16 lbs., but I can live with that.

Bob T.

#17 rluckadoo

rluckadoo
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Anyone have a nice, (low hours) gas powered VAC PAC that you would be interested in selling? I am actually looking for a nice one to purchase. WYLDKATT, that is a nice looking unit you have there!!!!! You can PM me if you have one available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users