Which spirial gold wheel is best?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Beer Beeper

Beer Beeper
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I have the plastic Le Trap sluice, a small size micro-sluice(mini highbanker) with a 12 volt electric bilge pump, a home made Big-O weeping tile type pipe concentrator, also in the process of making an eavestrough one, and I also have a Blue Bowl(cake pan spinner) called a Damn Pan(I think it is an older version but the same).

I do not have this one and it looks very good! S-1 Finishing System > http://www.usprospec...nishing-machine

Now I am looking at the gold wheels or spirals. Which one do think is best OR you have heard from other people which one is the best ? (Or have seen operating at gold shows that impressed you.)

Gold Screw Vibrating Automatic Panner > http://www.goldscrew.com/prod01.htm

Gold Magic > http://www.goldmagic.com

Gold Miner > http://www.goldleisureproducts.com

Camel Mining Products
Desert Fox > http://www.desfox.com/
and
Mountain Goat Trommel

Or another one(s) I am not aware of ?

#2 MikeT

MikeT
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Hunting, Shooting, SXS Riding
  • Equipment:GB, GP3500, TDI, TDI-Pro

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

I think they are all pretty much the same. Each one has some small feature that differentiates it from the others, adjustable wheel angle, adjustable wheel speed, adjustable water flow etc. but basically they operate about the same. I have the gold miner it works OK faster than panning but I either lose some gold or get some black sand in the cup, can't seem to get the settings just perfect. If you attend the gold shows where they are running them, you'll see them all running gold and beach sand not black sand - there's a reason.

Mike

#3 russfordAZ

russfordAZ
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

I agree with Mike, but it's kinda like choosing a metal detector....after you've tried several of them, you'll decide on a favorite. I liked my GoldScrew w/ feeder tray real well, but for the best dollar investment, I don't think you can beat the Gold Miner. That's the one I use now (when I use one). The Goat is a mini reverse-sprial trommel. I tested it once and liked it for certain situations, but wasn't happy with the recovery and it's pricy.
Beeper it sounds like you have quite a few pieces of final recovery equipment now, so I guess you are in that process of "choosing a favorite". At the risk of sounding like a broken record...my favorite one and one that I always recommend is the pan. laugh.gif

...rf

#4 Haderly

Haderly
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

I agree with Russ…I always trust panning out concentrates over the gold wheels. A friend of mine kept using one and only getting a little gold. I panned his concentrates after he ran them through and I got more gold then he did. I am not saying that his spiral would not work if properly set up but a pan works every time with no settings or adjustments. A bonus to panning is that you can do it at home when you can’t get out to prospect.

#5 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

Well panning is Ok for you young whippersnappers but when you get old with arthritis in your hands that cold northern water hurts!

I'll stick with my Desert Fox I've had it since 1993, if it don't catch it i don't mess with it, I just save all the black sand and when I get a 55 gal drum full sell it.

Max

#6 Haderly

Haderly
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

I would have one too if I had arthritis. I have plenty of hot water at my house when the stream waters are to cold. The methodically motions of panning to me is one of the best stress relievers. Gadgets seem to always give me more stress.

#7 RANGERMG

RANGERMG

American Military Veteran

• American Military Veteran
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Beeper

For what it is worth, I am impressed with my Desert Fox, I got it after watching a demonstration at the Gold Mieser in Quartsite. I litterally watched the gold walk up the wheel, if you are worried about your gold set the angle back a little and it will give you some black sands and heavies on the first run, readjust the angle a little steeper to get all the fine gold and no black sands.

I only just started this hobby but for my 2 cents, the Desert Fox works well. check with Gold Mieser or some of the other stores they sometimkes have used in new condition that won't cost you an arm and a leg

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users