Photo

Google Earth Does LR2000 Records, Geo Communicator Data, Township Section and Range

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

You can display LR2000 data, Geo Communicator data, active mining claims, closed mining claims, Township Section and Range and a lot more in Google Earth, you just have to know how so I made it easy with the Prospectors Power Pack. This is very, very easy to use. Just read everything below and you'll be off and running in no time flat. Your internet connection speed, and LR2000 / Geo Communicator server response times will play a role in performance just like with the LR2000 or Geo Communicator. High speed will be high speed performance and dial up will be dial up performance.

Now I've made this in two flavors, KML and KMZ so it will work with the free Google Earth (KML) or the Plus version (KML or KMZ). Remember you need to save these files and not open them with your browser because if you do all you will see is code. Once you have downloaded (saved) the file(s) just double click them if you have Google Earth installed. If you need Google Earth get it here: http://earth.google.com/index.html

Get the files here

This is the first screen you will see (without the arrow etc.):

OK now that has loaded you can pick what you want to see, like active mining claims with names. You could also just select the names or claims, I chose both.

Now if you want you can see multiple sets of data at the same time. Below, active mining claims, names of active mining claims, BLM lands and Township, Section and Range have been chosen.

Below are closed mining claims, you could add the name of the closed claims to by selecting the Names Closed Mining Claims layer.

Township, Section and Range

Now if I add BLM Lands and a topo the topo is covered up as you see below, however, there is an easy solution as you will see.

All you need to do is adjust the Opaque values of the topo map layer (or BLM layer) to see both as shown below and above by choosing the Properties of the layer.

Now if you ever see this big red X you are zoomed in too close, just zoom out a little.

The refresh symbol is normal an appears as you navigate to give you an up to date map as you move.

Everything will update as you navigate automatically but you can manually refresh the current layer(s) if you like, not something I normally would do.

#2 FatBob

FatBob
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thank you once again Rod! AMAZING!

#3 Haderly

Haderly
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Rod!! This is great. Various_Artists-punk.gif Now I need to be even more careful not to get caught goofing off at work innocent0009.gif

#4 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words and emails! A few people have asked duplicate questions so here is some info on how this is done, I sent this info to a few of you via PM already.

Yes it my own original idea and creation. Its really not a program, just a KML or KMZ file that makes request directly to the GeoComminucator and Terraserver and never passes through my server. The LR2000 data is integrated with the GeoCommunicator which basically has an open API. Most people don't know it but the info has been around for sometime and many who dabble in technology use it. I just simplified it and there is so much more that could be done with it, it seems like a lot but as far as technology goes I just scratched the surface.

This is the official PDF on how to do exactly what I did with a little know how:
http://www.geocommun...your_ArcGIS.pdf

I did add the "&reaspect=false" code to fix the mentioned skew as well.

This is more info worth reading:
http://www.blm.gov/n...e_services.html

The code in and of itself is extremely simple, you can see it all here:
http://www.arizonago...com/kml/PPP.txt

I'm a big believer in Open Source but at the same time realize people will help themselves to your ideas, some even will later claim they had the idea first. I provide this information in the hopes that it will help some along the way and bring more to the table in the long run for all of us.

#5 sestrada

sestrada
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:GOLD and MONEY

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

THANK YOU ROD beer.gif

#6 4corners

4corners
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

its never said enough, thank you Rod. you have contributed more computer research technology any other person to the prospecting community and have raised us all up a notch or two. hats off!

#7 Drillerz

Drillerz
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

Booya! Dude that is really cool works great just have to learn more about putting it to use for the time prospecting too hot right now THX!

#8 flyingbrass

flyingbrass
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 135 posts
  • Equipment:Dredges, highbanker, a few sluices and other odds 'n' ends. Old pre-Supertraq Lobo. Small homemade sampling drywasher.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

Very nice. Thanks, Rod.

#9 michael88

michael88
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, exploring new areas, and just plain driving.
  • Equipment:4000gpx, drywasher

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

time to invest in a lap top computer with satellite connection.........COOL!!!!

#10 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

American Military Veteran

• American Military Veteran
  • 670 posts
  • Equipment:Minelab GPX 4000; Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq; AZ DESERT GOLD Drywasher; GoldBuddy Recirc Sluice; Chris Ralph's book- Fists Full of Gold

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

>>You can display LR2000 data, Geo Communicator data, active mining claims, closed mining claims, Township Section and Range and a lot more in Google Earth, you just have to know how so I made it easy with the Prospectors Power Pack. This is very, very easy to use. Just read everything below and you'll be off and running in no time flat. Your internet connection speed, and LR2000 / Geo Communicator server response times will play a role in performance just like with the LR2000 or Geo Communicator. High speed will be high speed performance and dial up will be dial up performance.

Now I've made this in two flavors, KML and KMZ so it will work with the free Google Earth (KML) or the Plus version (KML or KMZ). Remember you need to save these files and not open them with your browser because if you do all you will see is code. Once you have downloaded (saved) the file(s) just double click them if you have Google Earth installed. If you need Google Earth get it here: http://earth.google....om/index.html<<

What? ohmy.gif Very, very easy to use? blink.gif Whoa Rod, I'm a http://www.MORON. You do make it look easy though. beer.gif I guess I better have my Granddaughter come over and explain it to me. - Terry

#11 SDBill

SDBill
  • Validating
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Very well done Rod easy to use and works great HH

#12 Joe C

Joe C
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Soooo much smoother than Geocommunicator and a hell of a lot easier to navigate. Thanks Rod!

-Joe

#13 Bob the Digger

Bob the Digger
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

BRAVO well done and thank you!

#14 Mingusmtn

Mingusmtn
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:prospecting-hiking-photography-exploring-learning

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the boost. That is an AWESOME program and really easy to use. Sure beats my attempts to save the geo comm, send it to photoshop and overlay on a google earth image. willy_nilly.gif Now I can do it on the move! biggrin.gif
It's too bad google can't fix some of those areas that just come up blurry all the time.

#15 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

It's too bad google can't fix some of those areas that just come up blurry all the time.

Earlier this month GE did to huge update on that and eventually will get all areas but now only a very, very few are affected, as a work around you can always use the Aerial Photo biggrin.gif

#16 Joe C

Joe C
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

I have more than forty nugget baring areas marked off on my Garmin GPS software and now I can go to "view in Google Earth" and check for active and closed mines with my way points intact. No more spending hours jumping back and forth to Geocomunicator. That was one of my least favorite aspects of researching places to go. Thanks Rod!

-Joe

#17 Mingusmtn

Mingusmtn
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Rod @ May 15 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Earlier this month GE did to huge update on that and eventually will get all areas but now only a very, very few are affected, as a work around you can always use the Aerial Photo biggrin.gif

Maybe my GE is defective but I can't get place names like Stanton or highway numbers to show up next to the location dots even though I have tried every option in all the drop down menus. sad.gif I would have thought the option would have been in the primary database. As it is I have to bring up "view in google maps" or a separate map in another browser page and switch back and forth to get reference points to know where I am or in the right general area for my search in GE. The topo with the Prosp Pack has been helpful for this but doesn't have the detail needed to identify the creeks. Any suggestions? Doug

#18 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Doug, what version of GE are you using? Can you provide screen shots? While I cannot troubleshoot Google products or your computer I might be able to help.The topo maps in the Power Pack scale to 1:24,000 - the same detail as any commercial mapping program.

#19 Mingusmtn

Mingusmtn
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Just the garden variety from google, not the upgrade pay for edition. Screen shots are tough at the moment because I lost my free snagit -don't want to pay for it and haven't spent the time to find a work around for screen saves. Have considered deleting GE and re-downloading to see if I lost part of it some how - maybe by the "crap cleaner" program. Doug

Just brought up GE from the desktop and all I could find on it is © 2008

#20 shep

shep

Gold Slut

• Prospector / Miner
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Have a new area I want to check out and want all my ducks in a row (private property all around), so I've spent the last hour and a half converting co-ordinates from LR2000 to what my Magellan map program uses (degrees and minutes). I then plotted it out on GE. Eyes and brain are tired, so I view the forums. I look into your Prospectors Powerpack. Download it, and damn, if I didn't do the same thing, in a matter of minutes.

Guess, I owe you another beer! Excellent shortcut, for sure!

Thanks, Shep

#21 Quartzsite-Tom

Quartzsite-Tom
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Rod , Very Cool !!! :beer:

#22 Gold Seeker

Gold Seeker
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Family and friends, gold prospecting, metal detecting, fishing, hunting, being in the rivers and forests.
  • Equipment:4" Keene 3 stage dredge, 2" Proline Highbanker combo, MXT, CZ6A, Spiral Wheel, Sluices, misc. pans, classifiers, etc.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

Rod,

Thanks for the download!!! :Various_Artists-punk:

I'm a new member here and from the eastcoast, the claims part of the download will not do me any good, until I travel west, but the topos are going to help me greatly!!! :D

Skip

#23 Boise Ron

Boise Ron
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting, fishing, electronics.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Just the garden variety from google, not the upgrade pay for edition. Screen shots are tough at the moment because I lost my free snagit -don't want to pay for it and haven't spent the time to find a work around for screen saves. Have considered deleting GE and re-downloading to see if I lost part of it some how - maybe by the "crap cleaner" program. Doug

Just brought up GE from the desktop and all I could find on it is © 2008

I used to use Snagit. I have been using the freeware version of Faststone lately, and it seems to work really well.

I installed the Prospectors Power pack, and it is fantastic! Sooo much faster and easier to use than Geocommunicator, and with GE's 3D too boot! Rod is so generous with his technical skills. Wish I had something to offer...

#24 Richard

Richard
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Rod, I think I did everything you sugested but stll have a problem.. Flew to Cleator, AZ,clicked on names open mining claims and got the big red x. No matter how far I zoom out or in it doesn't change. Any suggestions?

#25 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Richard, normally when that happens the government server for the data is just not responding, give it a few hours.

#26 Boise Ron

Boise Ron
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting, fishing, electronics.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

I have had the same problem for over a week now. Geocommunicator works, but the big red X covers the entire earth.

#27 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

OK I got off my lazy butt and figured out the issue. The BLM made some major changes to the way the data works and I updated the Power Pack to the new 2009 format. Many cool new features, check it out:

http://www.arizonago...k-google-earth/

#28 shep

shep

Gold Slut

• Prospector / Miner
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Rod, I got the big red X also! Hope it's the goverment just updating as you say-
Shep

#29 4corners

4corners
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

the new version works great and the new stuff seems very helpful shep delete the one thank you

#30 tlcarrig

tlcarrig
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:The yeller stuff

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

A couple of questions please. When I open GE, it flys me to Stanton and all the info comes up without the red X. I have active, active names, closed and closed names checked. This all seems to come up immediately. Is this info stored in my GE once it is retrieved bu your program? I am asking because when I fly to the Heflin/Craigford area of Alabama, All I get is the red X box. Is this an indication that it is downloading info from Geo Comm? Funny thing is, when I do the same thing on my laptop, It will pull up the Alabama info upon opening GE just as my desktop pulle up the Stanton info. I understand your explanations with the screen captures but I would like to know a little more datail as to how your program actually works. Thanks.

#31 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks all.

I'd like to attempt to clarify what the Prospectors Power Pack is and is not.

It's not a program, Google Earth is the program.

Think of the Power Pack as a bridge, it connects you across the Internet to the island of BLM records. The kml and kmz files that make it work are the steel and concrete, the bridge itself. The kml version of the bridge is for all vehicles, the kmz trucks only, however there is no difference in the end destination.

It's impossible for me to act as techical support if it works on one of your computers but not the other, too many variables. Also the BLM does not provide data for all of the US, neither you nor I can change that.

Shep, did you get it working?

#32 shep

shep

Gold Slut

• Prospector / Miner
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

Had nothing to do with your 'bridge'. It was GE. I got on their help section, then cleared all overlays and the X disappeared. Downloaded the new PP and all is fine :D
Shep

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users