lake pleasant

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shortbed454

shortbed454
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

just wondering if anyone here has ever done any panning at lake pleasant Regional Park. i understand that the state has set aside the section of the park where the river comes into the lake for panning, and i was wondering if its worth my time to go give it a try?

#2 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

If you could find bedrock ,and do some crevacing (but they might frown on that too). I suppose you mean the Agua Fria River?

#3 shortbed454

shortbed454
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

ya the agua fria river is the section that im talking about. just wondering if anyone here has worked that area of the park with any success.

#4 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

American Military Veteran

• American Military Veteran
  • 670 posts
  • Equipment:Minelab GPX 4000; Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq; AZ DESERT GOLD Drywasher; GoldBuddy Recirc Sluice; Chris Ralph's book- Fists Full of Gold

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (shortbed454 @ May 26 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just wondering if anyone here has ever done any panning at lake pleasant Regional Park. i understand that the state has set aside the section of the park where the river comes into the lake for panning, and i was wondering if its worth my time to go give it a try?

I've prospected out there. You'll come home with some color if you run enough material. I brought several buckets back to my motorhome and ran it through my recirculating sluice. Found about a gram and a half of flake. Hey, you never know till you go! - Terry

#5 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

If you are just using a pan, and there is no bedrock there,,, then I dont think it is worth the time...would be better off on a club claim somewhere...Are you in a club??
If not , join a club and start finding.

#6 shortbed454

shortbed454
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

thats what im tring to find out befor i go. i dont want to go out there if i have to dig 4 feet befor i hit the bedrock.

#7 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

That is a likely scenario...Sounds like a deep spot, there might be some bench bedrock around though. Alot of big arse gold was taken out of that rivers tributaries.

#8 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:40 AM

There is gold in the panning area but the bedrock situation is questionable. The road that goes from the lake to I-17 (Table Mesa Road) will have a lot of spots with gold and bedrock if you get off the main path and hike a little.

#9 shortbed454

shortbed454
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

that works for me. i dont have a problem taking a little hike. my cousin has never been panning and he wants to go this weekend. i really hope i can find him a little color. i know the first time he sees some color he will be hooked. i know i was.

#10 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hey shortbed---

1st off, welcome.

2ndly,
if i have to dig 4 feet before i hit the bedrock.

if one believes there to be gold in a certain location, and not dig thru 4 feet of overburden to get to it,

IMHO, they should take up "metal detecting/nuggetshooting"... Various_Artists-censored.png

I'm just sayin'

~wyld~

#11 shortbed454

shortbed454
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (wyldkatt @ May 27 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey shortbed---

1st off, welcome.

2ndly,

if one believes there to be gold in a certain location, and not dig thru 4 feet of overburden to get to it,

IMHO, they should take up "metal detecting/nuggetshooting"... Various_Artists-censored.png

I'm just sayin'

~wyld~

if i knew for a fact that there would be a good chance of a measurable amount of gold to be found in a particular area, then i would not have a issue working to get to it. i dont go out to try to get rich, i just enjoy getting out and relaxing by the river. im more then happy to just find a few tiny flakes of color after a enjoyable day by the water, as apposed to a few grams of gold after a back breaking day.

#12 Lotsa Luck

Lotsa Luck
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

The bedrock is deep there so don't plan on finding any to work off of but there is flood color in most of the gravels. Dig down a foot or two in areas behind large boulders or deadfalls and screen it down to 1/4" minus before panning and you'll be able to find some colors. Most bedrock in the gut will be 8' to 30' deep. We tried to go to bedrock in 1985 with a 6" dredge in there without coming near it. We did get a lot of fines though out of the flood layers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users