Arizona Dredging ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 1dredger

1dredger
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

We'll now that dredging is gone form California I was wonder what are the dredging regs for Arizona, do they have permits? Also what are the main gold producing rivers - creeks there? How does it differ from Califonia?

#2 Mingusmtn

Mingusmtn
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:prospecting-hiking-photography-exploring-learning

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

It's a whole lot drier most of the year for one. Get a dry washer - I am! :080402gudl_prv:

#3 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:05 AM

If you are on FS land the regs are very restrictive, on club claims they have been hammered and rehammered, for instance the Roadrunners Turkey Creek claims.

No matter if it was members or non-members some people have undercut the banks, dredged under big trees until they die or fall and left 10 ft deep holes and changed to course of the creek, its hard for me to beleive that in the 16 years I have been going to the Mayer area it has been so hammered!

mingusmt has it right, get a drywasher, but even then you will find a lot of areas are hammered hard.

#4 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hello 1dredger...

Sorry to hear about the changes to the law for you Cal dredgers......(even 'sawmill' greg)

All we get are ice-out runoff, and monsoonal flash-floods.

All of which do move the yellow stuff around allright...

Seems like Max (gilaoro), has a much better place for you to haul a dredge to than here.

Better hurry to beat the weather though.

But there is no Az. motherlode that the Colorado, AquaFria, and Gila rivers run thru. (major)

But there are creeks that run thru copper and silver country, that gold may be located on. (minor)

Most won't support a lot of dredging, due to location and water volume.

But hey, I'm a digger.

Wouldn't mind a 'land dredge' though.....oh yea, already got 1....here.

good luck.

talk to Max.

post pics.

later.

~wyldkatt~

#5 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Terrible story in the S.F. Chronicle today.....

see story here.

#6 Nugget-lover

Nugget-lover
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:going where gold has been found, and sometimes where it hasn't...lol

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Terrible story in the S.F. Chronicle today.....

see story here.

Hi wyldkatt thanks for the comments on my move... (this is not aimed at you ...lol) I read this link, what a suprise a (Dem) is pushing this bill .. Wake up people, pretty soon it will be unlawful to fish, go boating, hunting, (they'd luv to figure out how to get rid of all the guns anyway) go on state, gov. land, etc., etc. there was a guy that got 6 months in jail then a halfway house and I think 3 yrs proabtion for living out in the forest here.... So its against the law to be homeless ? mmmmmmm the only bad thing the paper reported him as doing was having a trashy camp site..... Maybe he should have recyled more ? Yes it said he had been caught doing the same thing and was already on proabtion for it but what was he suppose to do ? So he should just go hang out on the streets is what I'm guessing. Sleep in gutters and what not.... gezzzzzzz

#7 russfordAZ

russfordAZ
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Hi 1dredger, I don't mean this against you personally so please don't misunderstand, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for your predicament. Calif legislators have over-regulated, taxed, and outlawed everything in sight.... and now your only choice is to go to other States to enjoy what is left of American freedom. It would seem to me you should concentrate on "cleaning house" in your state legislature before Calif spreads it's liberal/environmental cancer to other states. I rank CA politics somewhere just below Cuba. Get real!

I've dredged in CA and AZ and they are completely different. AZ is not a dredger's paradise. You won't need large dredges w/floats here. You will be lucky to find enough water to use a 2" dredge and as was said, those areas have been hammered. Bring plenty of pump seals with you because most mud puddles will have to be recycled. I have a 4" dredge in my garage I haven't used in about 5yrs. There are only a couple situations where dredging is permitted. 1.Private property (not much hope there). 2. Private claims w/ POO approved (try to jump through those hoops). 3. Club claims (well regulated and hammered). The last I heard - (things may have changed) it was still OK to use a 2" or smaller dredge on BLM land (only) for prospecting on OPEN ground (if you can find water). Welcome to AZ ...now go home. :lol: :lol:

...rf

#8 Lotsa Luck

Lotsa Luck
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi 1dredger, I don't mean this against you personally so please don't misunderstand, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for your predicament. Calif legislators have over-regulated, taxed, and outlawed everything in sight.... and now your only choice is to go to other States. Welcome to AZ ...now go home. :lol: :lol:

...rf

LMFAO! Not that it's solely 1dredger's fault by any means but this is some pretty funny chit and spoken perfectly. Seems like most everything California thinks up trickles down to the rest of the SW and it's all been a big bunch of turds thus far. I am done with CHANGE for this term!

#9 1dredger

1dredger
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for everyones advice. I'm still in California now but am buying a house in AZ soon. Nothing I can change here.(We're moving to AZ for work relocation.) I plan on reading a lot of books and doing research. Bummer that rivers don't cut thru gold producing areas like CA. I rally enjoy dreding but just sold my 6in due to the fact I probably won't use it. I still have a 2in and a 4in. I plan on making the best of the situation I can. I was going to buy a home in Surprise in 2005 and being for CA you don't really get a warm welcome. Maybe I'll see some of you on the trails soon.

#10 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,481 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

Arizona could always use another good prospector. There are some places in the Bradshaws where you can dredge in the Spring, Fall and Winter. The Black Canyon would be as close as you might come to the underwater type dredging in Cali. Also up the 87 there are some good dredge spots but the gold is very fine. Many springs in the desert have water year round and it can be dammed up, just muddy.

#11 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

Hey Rod-

No dis-respect to our guru, but did you bump your head on the Rim?

Did you really just say that you can float a dredge on Black Canyon Creek?

I'm a digger, I don't really give a rats ass, might be able to use the time of year, and depth range though. :innocent0009:

News to me though. Just figured our water would run at a way high GPH or whatev.

Would probably be like working the gut of Cali rivers I guess. :hmmmmmm:

'cept a lot muddier.

I'm done. :Various_Artists-censored:

~w~

#12 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,481 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

No worries Wyld, lots of people have dredged Black Canyon. Our buddy Rob Allison did pretty well a few years ago not too far from Bumble Bee, not sure if he snorkeled though. I would not advise getting in the middle of a flash flood but once the waters settle and flow a bit, it can be good gold, visibility is another thing. Know a few guys who have dredged the Auga Fria too. Not saying I would try to find a spot to use a face mask but there are spots and times where it can be done and I've seen people do it. Not saying these folks are using hookah rigs, just snorkels.

If it was not so chilly I would have gone underwater in the spot below if I had a snorkel, the water was pretty clear for the most part. About froze my little tootsies off :lol:

dredge.jpg

#13 1dredger

1dredger
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Rod. Anymore I mostly Metal Detect. I know that there's not huge river like CA but small season creeks are good. Even if I have to long arm it. I have never dry washed. All that dust seems like fun though. Just so your up wind. I'll be living up by the Carefree Hwy.

#14 17 Kills

17 Kills
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

Anyone dredge Turkey Creek or Poland?

#15 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

American Military Veteran

• American Military Veteran
  • 670 posts
  • Equipment:Minelab GPX 4000; Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq; AZ DESERT GOLD Drywasher; GoldBuddy Recirc Sluice; Chris Ralph's book- Fists Full of Gold

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

I was in Turkey Creek with a scuba mask and a homemade crevice sucker back in 1981. Froze my bejeebers into little pennyweights! :blink: Found about a gram that day. - Terry

#16 russfordAZ

russfordAZ
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

Hey no one said it couldn't be done or that you weren't welcome to try...rf

photo if it works:

edit: photos still aren't working for me.

#17 wyldkatt

wyldkatt
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Welcome to AGP 17 kills.....(catchy screename)

You might check with some club people. I'm of the impression that Turkey is pretty much claimed up by the

prospecting clubs...

I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I'd say they were both "seasonal" 4 sure.

be sure to visit again, and maybe post some pics.

or not.

~wyld~

#18 Nuggethunting

Nuggethunting
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hey Dredger,

Give me a call when you get established in Arizona. I've dredged all the major gold bearing creeks in an around the Bradshaw's and several other Mountain Ranges. I've had claims on most of the major drainagest in the Bradshaw's at one time, some I've sold others I still have.

I prefer to use my Keene 4-inch on the creeks, but some places only allow a 3-inch or smaller.

I've done well on most of them. Others are hit and miss.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison
www.nuggethunting.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users