15 replies to this topic

#1 bgriego

bgriego
  • American Military Veteran
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Looking for gold
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing
  • Equipment:4 Gold pans (1 round 4 riffle / 2 Trinity pans / 1 Hex pan) Angus Mackirk sluice

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

I am looking for a designated campground that is near an area that I can explore for gold. I know of Lynx Lake but it doesn't open til April and too cold right now. I have a tent trailer and have a week off in March. I could stay at the campgrounds @ Lake Pleasant and then go out and explore north of there, but was just curious if anyone else could provide me any other ideas. Thanks in advance.....Brian

#2 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,479 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

When it comes to camping you have a lot of choices, we camp just about anywhere in the state except private property. I'm not into campgrounds, try to avoid them so I can't help there. The LSD is a nice place to camp as well as the BCC/Cleator area.

#3 Mingusmtn

Mingusmtn
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:prospecting-hiking-photography-exploring-learning

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

There are several primitive campsites (fire ring only) on Enchanted Forest Rd which is the first left past the lake roads and I believe they are open year round. You may still be able to camp at the bottom of Bannie Mine Rd but you should check on that. There is no camping allowed in the CCC camp/mill area just before Walker. Most of the other roads into the forest are now gated and there is no telling if they are accessible at any given time.

I spent many a night at Lynx and days on end working the creek and is where I had consistantly gotten the gold. My favorite camp spot was the last one on the right just before crossing the creek. A nice big flat spot about ten feet above a bend in the creek that could accomodate several prospectors when the need arose.

I know that sluicing is not an okay thing on Lynx but there were a few times before I was aware of that rule I got in there and sluiced. And even afterward I took a few chances knowing that some serious consequences would follow being discovered.

One night I was camped at that cool camp site and it had rained in the evening and I could hear that water rushing so about midnight I took my sluice and camp lantern down to the water and started working at my day time spot. Every time I heard a vehicle nearing the crossing I doused the light and waited to hear the the vehicle turn around and leave then I would relight the lantern and go back to work. I quit at 3AM and cleaned up in the morning to find that midnight gold is even better than the daylight stuff. :pirate2:

Anonymous

#4 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing
  • Equipment:4 Gold pans (1 round 4 riffle / 2 Trinity pans / 1 Hex pan) Angus Mackirk sluice

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

When it comes to camping you have a lot of choices, we camp just about anywhere in the state except private property. I'm not into campgrounds, try to avoid them so I can't help there. The LSD is a nice place to camp as well as the BCC/Cleator area.

Thanks for the info....I don't mind "boondocking" just gotta talk the girls into it. What is BCC?

#5 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

There are several primitive campsites (fire ring only) on Enchanted Forest Rd which is the first left past the lake roads and I believe they are open year round. You may still be able to camp at the bottom of Bannie Mine Rd but you should check on that. There is no camping allowed in the CCC camp/mill area just before Walker. Most of the other roads into the forest are now gated and there is no telling if they are accessible at any given time.

I spent many a night at Lynx and days on end working the creek and is where I had consistantly gotten the gold. My favorite camp spot was the last one on the right just before crossing the creek. A nice big flat spot about ten feet above a bend in the creek that could accomodate several prospectors when the need arose.

I know that sluicing is not an okay thing on Lynx but there were a few times before I was aware of that rule I got in there and sluiced. And even afterward I took a few chances knowing that some serious consequences would follow being discovered.

One night I was camped at that cool camp site and it had rained in the evening and I could hear that water rushing so about midnight I took my sluice and camp lantern down to the water and started working at my day time spot. Every time I heard a vehicle nearing the crossing I doused the light and waited to hear the the vehicle turn around and leave then I would relight the lantern and go back to work. I quit at 3AM and cleaned up in the morning to find that midnight gold is even better than the daylight stuff. :pirate2:

Anonymous

Thanks for the info....A little too cold up there for the girls right now.

#6 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

Anyone familiar with Burro creek campground or that area?

http://www.blm.gov/a...ps/burrocr.html

#7 RANGERMG

RANGERMG

American Military Veteran

• 68 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

Great campsite. :Various_Artists-punk: . Buro Creek about 1 1/2 miles off the paved road, good well packed gravel all the way to the campgrounds. It has running water in toilets if I remember correctly there are at least 2 sets, a dump station, individual fire rings and I believe picnick tables at each of their sites, it does not have elecricity recomend you chain up your generator as they can and will walk away at night if not watched. it does have water available near the caretakers campsite to fill your tank if you need to. It is a pay for use campsite and there should be a drop box located at the front entrance. Plenty good places in the area for garnets and other semi precious stones according to one of the better half rock hounding guides. :brows: I have never stayed there but used to use the campgrounds as a rest break when i inspected Mohave county and made it a one day trip. the closest town is Wikiup (SP) they are the only thing around for miles so stock up in Kingman or Wickenburg before you go otherwise you will be paying higher prices than you may want to.

I told the better half if I ever opened up an RV park for a retirement gig I would set it up like Burro Creek, plenty of room between each of the campsites to give everyone privacy and enjoy the beauty of Nature.

Hope this helps a little.
Tim
RANGERMG

#8 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

Great campsite. :Various_Artists-punk: . Buro Creek about 1 1/2 miles off the paved road, good well packed gravel all the way to the campgrounds. It has running water in toilets if I remember correctly there are at least 2 sets, a dump station, individual fire rings and I believe picnick tables at each of their sites, it does not have elecricity recomend you chain up your generator as they can and will walk away at night if not watched. it does have water available near the caretakers campsite to fill your tank if you need to. It is a pay for use campsite and there should be a drop box located at the front entrance. Plenty good places in the area for garnets and other semi precious stones according to one of the better half rock hounding guides. :brows: I have never stayed there but used to use the campgrounds as a rest break when i inspected Mohave county and made it a one day trip. the closest town is Wikiup (SP) they are the only thing around for miles so stock up in Kingman or Wickenburg before you go otherwise you will be paying higher prices than you may want to.

I told the better half if I ever opened up an RV park for a retirement gig I would set it up like Burro Creek, plenty of room between each of the campsites to give everyone privacy and enjoy the beauty of Nature.

Hope this helps a little.
Tim
RANGERMG

Excellent. Thank you.

#9 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

I saw that BLM had it listed for campgrounds under rockhounding ( http://www.blm.gov/a.../locations.html ).

My wife just sent me this link: http://www.northernf...com/s/Burro.asp looks interesting.

#10 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

Brian,
BCC is refering to Black Canyon City area. Burro creek sounds good , but i`m not sure about the known prospecting areas out there. If you could find a nice campground near Gold Basin (not much farther north) that would be a great place to hunt for gold & meteorites.

#11 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Brian,
BCC is refering to Black Canyon City area. Burro creek sounds good , but i`m not sure about the known prospecting areas out there. If you could find a nice campground near Gold Basin (not much farther north) that would be a great place to hunt for gold & meteorites.

Excellent....Thank you.

#12 lightnin Rick

lightnin Rick
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Excellent....Thank you.

Black Canyon city has a KOA

#13 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Black Canyon city has a KOA

Yeah...really can't justify staying at that KOA since I live in Phoenix. The only reason I was thinking of the campgrounds @ Lake Pleasant was because I could do some fishing as well.

#14 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Looks like it will either be Lake Pleasant, Burro Creek, or off boondocking to one of the places mentioned. Any other ideas welcome.....Thanks again, Brian

#15 maui

maui

Living in Paradise

• Living in Paradise
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:fishing, diving, enjoying the great out doors.

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

wow, you guys just me all fired up for camping. can't wait til i get there and be able to get out often. thanks for the insperation. sorry that i can't add to your request, but where ever you go, have a fantastic stay, good luck and be carefull out there. ron

#16 bgriego

bgriego
  • 57 posts
    Elk Hunting
    Fishing

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

If anyone else is interested....I did find a campground that also offers gold panning.... http://goldbarranchbb.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users