Apache Junction club

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ray

Ray
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hello all, I am a retired guy that wants to do some prospecting in the Arizona desert. I will be staying in an RV park in Mesa for a few months and I was thinking of joining the club at the Promac store in Apache Junction. Are any of you folks members of this club? I'd like to get some feedback on the club before I get there in January. Thanks,

Ray

#2 GlennMc

GlennMc
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Anything that gets me off the pavement!
  • Equipment:Minelab GP-3500

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

I'm not a member based on what I heard from a couple of previous members.

This is from three previous members, not my personal experience:
The club has a lot of good folks, but it has, of late, been more of a social club than after real prospecting.
One statement I got was "they became more worried about who was bringing what for the potluck than about where to go prospecting."

Since I wanted to get out there and find some gold, I chose a different path to take.

I still frequent Promack and will likely buy more stuff from them in the future. The owner and his family are goold folks and I have nothing bad to say.

Again, the above is from former members, not my personal experience.

#3 Ray

Ray
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

I'm not a member based on what I heard from a couple of previous members.

This is from three previous members, not my personal experience:
The club has a lot of good folks, but it has, of late, been more of a social club than after real prospecting.
One statement I got was "they became more worried about who was bringing what for the potluck than about where to go prospecting."

Since I wanted to get out there and find some gold, I chose a different path to take.

I still frequent Promack and will likely buy more stuff from them in the future. The owner and his family are goold folks and I have nothing bad to say.

Again, the above is from former members, not my personal experience.

Thanks for your feedback. I am looking for both a social situation and a learning situation so maybe it is sort of what I am looking for. On another note, have you heard anything about the owner's health situation. When we left there last Spring, he was either going to have open heart surgery or had just had it. I don't remember which but I was wondering if he came through it ok. They were just getting ready to move into their new building when we left. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks again,

Ray

#4 Auseeker

Auseeker
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

Hi Ray,

Dan Ware had his operation and was back doing what he loves within the week.
Dan is a great guy and has a lot of knowledge that he is willing to share. The club is very active with great demonstrations at each meeting. It is a very social club and a good introduction for the new prospector, they have some of the best prizes for their contests too. Their gold claims are not the best, it is the East Valley after all. Why not learn all you can from Dan and the club and then try LSD or Greaterville when you have the knowledge to get the gold?

Oh... it's Promack not Promac, different people, different story at Promac.
NFI

Good luck

#5 Ray

Ray
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hi Auseeker. Thanks for the update and the info. I was planning on joining up with them when I get there in Jan. but I just wanted to get some outside info on the group. I'm a real newbie to the hobby and it would be nice to be around some more knowledgeable folks. And thanks for the spelling lesson. I thought that was the right way to spell it but I don't know why I screwed up. Old age I guess. You mentioned a couple of other things at the end of your email. What is LSD and Greaterville? Also, I heard that it is against the law to metal detect or prospect out in the area around the Superstition Mountains. Is that correct?

Ray

#6 Auseeker

Auseeker
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hi Ray, I wasn't really so much correcting your spelling as giving you a heads up that there is another supplier in the area with a similar name, I guess I should have been more clear about that.

LSD is Little San Domingo Wash. It's Northwest of Phoenix near US Highway 60 and State Highway 74, about 10 miles South of Wickenburg. Greaterville is a ghost town about 45 minutes South of Tucson There are seven major washes with gold there. These are just some of the better locations in Arizona for the serious prospector. I mentioned them because they are probably the most accessible areas near Mesa.

Anywhere you prospect you have to be careful about land ownership. You can prospect BLM and National Forest lands that are not designated closed. Stay away from State lands, Mineral claims and Private lands. You can prospect wilderness but only with hand tools and you cannot make a mineral claim. Dan Ware knows a lot about the Superstition area and can give you guidance there. I strongly suggest that you and all prospectors download Rod's Power Pack and learn to use it (Thanks Rod!). It will give you the basics on any area you are looking to prospect in. It's free and it's right here. Research is the key to successful prospecting, a lot of that research has to be done on the ground but learning all you can about an area before you go will give you more prospecting time when you get there.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users