• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Colorado Oro

Colorado Oro
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hi All.
This weekend I was talking with a friend, and he was telling me he got some kind sickness from diggin in the dirt. He said that the dust has a microbe in the dirt and he got real sick. Was he right or was he just pulling my leg? Is it some thing prospector needs to worry about?
Thanks
CH

#2 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

Valley Fever??

#3 Auseeker

Auseeker
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

Your friend might be talking about Valley Fever. It's a fungus and it's spores are carried in the air whenever the soil is disturbed. It's really common in the West and just about everyone has been infected that has spent any time in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix). Most people never even notice the infection and build resistance to re-infection by the spores. A few people are unlucky and have more severe reaction to it.

You are going to catch it if you spend any time in the desert Southwest. You don't have to dig to get it, it's stirred up by construction and even wind storms. If you have spent more than a few weeks here and have experienced mild symptoms that clear up or no symptoms you are probably good to go for life.

Or you could be talking about the alien spores from xytphzy. We don't talk about that here cause the aliens get really cranky and use their ray guns on you and you just disappear, most people here about use the code words "got lost in the Superstitions" when that happens so they don't piss off the alien invaders. :willy_nilly:

#4 Colorado Oro

Colorado Oro
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Hey thanks for the info. I looked it up "Valley Fever" That is what he was talking about. I don't have to worry about the alien spores from xytphzy, I'm from xytphzy. :D I have spent some time in AZ, I lived in S.Cali for a few yrs. I was in a dust storm for 6 hr while on I40 in Winslow one time. The interstate was closed for the whole time. I have spent time in Kingman, Quartzite, Yuma, and in the valley. So I may have already have gotten it and I didn't know it.
Thanks
CH

#5 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,481 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

It does affect animals too, lost our wolf hybrid to Valley Fever a few years back but the vet said it was a rare and extreme case.

Xytphz...always a good time lol

#6 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

I got Valley Fever when I was 16 working construction near Death Valley...Put me in bed for a couple of months and scarred my lungs up so much that when I have a chest xray if I don't tell the technician they get all excited....I'm sure smoking for 35 years didn't help either...I gave that filthy habit up 11 years ago after a long roundtrip visit to Xytphzy aboard a non-smoking mothership....:ears: Cheers, Unc

#7 Grubstake

Grubstake

King of Prospectors / American Military Veteran

• King of Prospectors
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

Here In Calf. in the central Valley. They have lots of valley fever case's, due to plowing the land, and farming. Its deadly for some people, Grubstake

#8 Bob T.

Bob T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:26 PM

Yea it's a funny thing about this Desert Sickness, it means that I'm sick of the desert. I seem to get it every year along about the 1st of July and it usually last to around the end of Sept.. By then I'm out nugget hunting and feeling much better. :rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:

Bob T.

#9 Arkyrick

Arkyrick
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:There is nothing that can't be cured by a mason jar filled with shine cept the shine in the bottom of your pan

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:38 PM

I thought Valley fever made you bleach your hair blonde and you started saying things like I'm so sure and totally perpendicular and you want to go shopping. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users