Photo

Prescott

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 johnsonjones

johnsonjones
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Dredging , sluicing , sports and beer. Going to try some metal detecting.
  • Equipment:4in keene dredge,gold buster mini highbanker,sluice

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello. I will be moving to prescott in a week or so and have enjoyed reading some topics on here about the gold.
I have never prospected AZ but am really looking foward to it and now with all the rain it seems like the right time. How long are the creeks
going to hold water? I dont know where we are going to yet exactly but I heard there are some decent rv parks there. Does anyone have
any recomendations for a good family park as I have my wife and child also coming with me?

Also Ive noticed just by reading some topics on here that dredging is scarce in the Zona, are there spots at all or is it pretty much a lost cause.

Thanks Jason.

#2 Patrick in Havasu

Patrick in Havasu
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Searching for gold, exploring backroads and bass fishing

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Welcome to Arizona Jason.

I'm sure you will be getting some very good advice about the Prescott area.

This is a great forum for getting any info you might need.

Patrick in Havasu..... :flag:

#3 LarryAzAu

LarryAzAu
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Nugget Hunting, Lapidary, Sluicing, Wood Working, Camping, Hiking, 4x4ing, Computer Gaming/Fixing PC's, Movies, Music, Panning, & Drywashing!!!
  • Equipment:Minelab SD 2200 v2, gold Pans, Shovel, Pick,High Banker Sluice, Keene 140 Drywasher, and a Blue Ford Ranger Edge...

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello. I will be moving to prescott in a week or so and have enjoyed reading some topics on here about the gold.
I have never prospected AZ but am really looking foward to it and now with all the rain it seems like the right time. How long are the creeks
going to hold water? I dont know where we are going to yet exactly but I heard there are some decent rv parks there. Does anyone have
any recomendations for a good family park as I have my wife and child also coming with me?

Also Ive noticed just by reading some topics on here that dredging is scarce in the Zona, are there spots at all or is it pretty much a lost cause.

Thanks Jason.

Well dredging is as scarce as the rain is sometimes here in AZ! Well I do know a friend that dredged Wolf creek and did very well, that was until the water and the summer monsoon's we very far in between and some areas got hammered
and others got very little. As far as the creeks around Wickenburg saw very little water and were dry as a bone last Wednesday as a friend and I headed up to Stanton to check out a couple Weaver mining claims. Luckily there was a water tank
with a windmill to pump the water for panning in a tub I brought along. You would do better with a sluice or highbanker with a pump to recycle the water, as I believe that dredging isn't allowed on either Lynx or Rose creeks, 2 of the creeks close to Prescott.
The other would be Big Bug, Wolf and Turkey Creeks are closer to the town of Mayer, and Roadrunner prospecting club has alot of claims on those creeks.
I'm a member of the GPAA, and you are in luck as there is a new chapter of the GPAA in Prescott Valley, headed by Woody and Bobby of the A & B Prospecting Supply in Prescott Valley, and would be happy to give u advice on where u can dredge at around the Prescott Area, thier number is: 928-772-4319. They are open Wed. thru Sat. 9am-5pm.
Here is a picture of a sluice which I using a bilge pump to recycle the water up south of Mayer, AZ, off of Bull Road.Campsite01_2.JPG

Larry

#4 frank c

frank c
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Meteorites ,Gold , Exploring
  • Equipment:Detectors Drywashers Etc.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:07 AM

Where ever you end up in AZ you will adapt to conditions. There is plenty of gold here to look for. Drywashing, wet recirc, detecting, bringing dirt home to process, meteorites etc. You will adapt your "tools" to many aspects of "the hunt" Good luck an hapy huntn.

#5 Mingusmtn

Mingusmtn
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:prospecting-hiking-photography-exploring-learning

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:20 AM

I agree with Frank. Adapt to conditions.

Last week I was on Rose and was panning out of a mudhole. This Tuesday I used a TD mini sluice and after a couple of downpours could have used a longtom. Wednesday had torrential downpours. Thursday I started with my big Keene sluice at 10am with adequate flow and had I stayed past 4:30 would have needed to go back to the mini. If I went again today I would be back to panning.

In the areas I have worked with a sluice you had to be there when it was raining or within a day of it during the summer and fall. Late winter and spring with some decent snow pack to melt off has the best opportunity for constant water flows.

Doug

#6 johnsonjones

johnsonjones
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Dredging , sluicing , sports and beer. Going to try some metal detecting.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

Well dredging is as scarce as the rain is sometimes here in AZ! Well I do know a friend that dredged Wolf creek and did very well, that was until the water and the summer monsoon's we very far in between and some areas got hammered
and others got very little. As far as the creeks around Wickenburg saw very little water and were dry as a bone last Wednesday as a friend and I headed up to Stanton to check out a couple Weaver mining claims. Luckily there was a water tank
with a windmill to pump the water for panning in a tub I brought along. You would do better with a sluice or highbanker with a pump to recycle the water, as I believe that dredging isn't allowed on either Lynx or Rose creeks, 2 of the creeks close to Prescott.
The other would be Big Bug, Wolf and Turkey Creeks are closer to the town of Mayer, and Roadrunner prospecting club has alot of claims on those creeks.
I'm a member of the GPAA, and you are in luck as there is a new chapter of the GPAA in Prescott Valley, headed by Woody and Bobby of the A & B Prospecting Supply in Prescott Valley, and would be happy to give u advice on where u can dredge at around the Prescott Area, thier number is: 928-772-4319. They are open Wed. thru Sat. 9am-5pm.
Here is a picture of a sluice which I using a bilge pump to recycle the water up south of Mayer, AZ, off of Bull Road.Campsite01_2.JPG

Larry

Hey Larry thats some great info ,I will give the Woody and Bobby a call for sure. I will be checking out Lynx as soon as I get there with just my pan of coarse. I have been
wanting to check it out since I started researching AZ. From what I understand most club claims around are 3" max dredge size. Is that pretty much the law in the state or can you use a 4" in some spots? And from the looks of some guys pretty nuggets on here I can see I will be a metal detector guy pretty soon. I was thinking of the Gold Bug 2 like a buddy has but I know nothing about metal detecting so any info would be appreciated.

Hey guys thanks for the info and hope to meet some of you in AZ. :driving:

#7 Beeper

Beeper
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

......I dont know where we are going to yet exactly but I heard there are some decent rv parks there. Does anyone have

Thanks Jason.

There is a nice RV Park off of Gurley St in Prescott, not sure what the name of it is. There is also one off Gail Gardner in Prescott....not sure how nice this one is though, good location.

#8 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to the forum, the only trouble with Prescott is that it snows there!!

You will find full info on dredging in the Phoenix RoadRunners map pack. But you will find it difficult a lot of times to run a 2' must less a 3", and in addition to that the forest service in the POO"S for the RR claims says no dredging when there is no running water, in other words you are not supposed to dredge pools , but people do and some day we will be like California and dredging will be a thing of the past. Now that being said the winter last year was a wet one and we dredged much of the winter around the Little San Domingo Wash area and out off of Castle Hot springs Rd. The Hassyamapa River in Wickenburg reached record levels and almost cut Highway 60 in too between Monarch and LSD washes, the river was flowing far past I-10 near Palo Verde.

Good Luck

Max

#9 FrogMick

FrogMick

Thousand Plus Posts

• American Military Veteran
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Welcome, don't know nothing about RV parks around the area, but here's a site that has reviews of some. RV Park Reviews - Prescott. Sorry not much to pick from. The nicest one Orchards in Dewey is 55 plus only.

#10 johnsonjones

johnsonjones
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

:)

Welcome to the forum, the only trouble with Prescott is that it snows there!!

You will find full info on dredging in the Phoenix RoadRunners map pack. But you will find it difficult a lot of times to run a 2' must less a 3", and in addition to that the forest service in the POO"S for the RR claims says no dredging when there is no running water, in other words you are not supposed to dredge pools , but people do and some day we will be like California and dredging will be a thing of the past. Now that being said the winter last year was a wet one and we dredged much of the winter around the Little San Domingo Wash area and out off of Castle Hot springs Rd. The Hassyamapa River in Wickenburg reached record levels and almost cut Highway 60 in too between Monarch and LSD washes, the river was flowing far past I-10 near Palo Verde.

Good Luck

Max

Thanks Gilaoro
I dredged Oregon all season this time around and did ok , they really killed the dredge season on the Rogue when they took Gold Ray dam out. We came to Oregon from Colorado so I guess if all else fells ill hit some spots back there next summer. The Arkansas is open april to october but you better have a heater. So exactly how much water do you have when you can dredge in AZ? Is it enough to dive or at least get a hole going? I have a full 4 so I wont be land dredging. I have been looking on Geo and noticed that most the water areas are claimed up ,is there any open in Az?

Hey thanks for the info to all. And I definitly dont worry about the snow my personal opinion is ill take heat over the heat any day of the week. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users