OPEN/Closed Mining Claims

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lori

Lori
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi, All.... I'm totally new to this subject so please be patient with me. I'm looking at an area on the LR2000 / Geo Communicator Data that Rod set up on Google Earth (very cool I might add). But I'm confused as far as the Open Claims vs. the Closed Claims. Does closed mean "Closed" to everyone or closed as meaning it's not active any longer and open to anyone?

Just new to everything and trying to figure out where I can go?????

Thanks!

#2 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,477 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

You can have any area with a closed and an open claim on the exact same spot, if there is an open claim there its valid, the older ones are historic reference at this point,.

If the area has only closed claims it may not be open, the land could now be private, or under another jurisdiction that disallows mineral exploration. Land changes hands/governorship all the time.

Remember, this is just a "guide", as is ANY software of this nature. Changes could have occurred that are not yet recorded and updated by the government servers where the data is pulled from.

I'm tired Posted Image hope this helps Posted Image and welcome Posted Image

#3 michael88

michael88
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, exploring new areas, and just plain driving.
  • Equipment:4000gpx, drywasher

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Lori, closed claims were claims of the past. This area is now open to prospect on. Active Claims are claims that are current and only the person holding the claim can work it. Remember to check the land status. If it is state land, you can not prospect on. Same with wilderness areas. BLM lands without claims is open to all. To camp, hike, travel on state land, you must have a recreational permit.

Check with the local BLM office to make sure that the area you are interested in has not had a claim filed since the Geocommunicator is not updated daily.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum and hobby!
Mike

#4 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:05 AM

If you are searching in Az around Rich Hill, Little San Domingo, Vulture Mts or Black Canyon City there is software out that not only maps the exact claim location but shows you the actual claim papers a filed with the BLM, they are up-dateable on line so you can have all the info that the BLM and the county clerks office has. Its called 'Footprints" its by http://www.minerdiggins.com/ there are a couple of others avaliable for Az and other states but this is the only one I have found thats updatable on line and shows the actual claim papers filed .

Good Luck

Max

#5 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,477 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

Not to be a party popper but thats incorrect Max. Footprints will not show you all claims in an area or the actual status of them, the land, etc.. The BLM often takes months to enter claims into their databases and the county recorder can drag its feet as well so there may be a valid claim filed 60 days ago that the only record for it is still on paper. Same goes for claims the BLM closes. ALL software is just a guide. It is cool Footprints pulls paper records from the county recorder but that does not include paperwork that has yet to be digitized.

I want to be clear that I am not making disparaging comments about Footprints, only trying to bring clarity to the topic.

#6 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

Yep, I should have made it clear to a newbie that there is considerable lead time in Goverment paper work, not that they will listen , I run on to at least one every week that is by damm going to have his own claim and when we warn them of the pitfalls ingnore us knowing that we want to keep all of this rich gold ground for our selfs and we were not smart enought to claim it first!

A large number of them think that a recirculating sluice with a 750 GPH pump is all they need to be bringing in OZ of gold in a few days if only they had their own claim.

To me the value in Foot Prints is not having having to go to town when the clerk is open to see the paper work, I can tell a great deal from just seeing the signatures and dates , I am not really interested in new claims or old ones but in patented property, but if someone asks, especialy a newbie about a specific claim I have no qualms about telling them the the facts, like look this claim is less than ,60 days, 90 days, a year old. RED Flag, its re-named, it was a club claim that was dropped, it has no mineable ground, Red Flags! How do you know I was asked this very day if you have never been to that claim?

Well he's a friend (non-miner) so I told him look at the map, the contour lines are 30 feet apart for hundreds of feet, Its a CLIFF! O Well he said, I liked the name on it!!

Deliver me from evil thoughts! But show me a patented peice, say patented in 1888, owned by a little old lady in Dayton , Ohio. 50 acres or less, no lease history, sourounded by verifiable great production history and I am definatley interested!

Fenced and gated and inside/behind/sourounded of big company owned ground even better.

Max

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users