Photo

Teknetics Gold Pick

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Goldarnit

Goldarnit
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Just getting out in the hills in my truck, Polaris Ranger or motorcycle, competitive archery, learning about gold and meteorites.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

Anyone use it?
http://www.metaldete...ROD&ProdID=1278

#2 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,477 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Not trying to be negative but it looks kinda small and over priced, basically an expensive Home Depot pick. But it might work great for what you will be using it for.

I highly recommend Apex Picks, Tracey and Brian and good guys and they have in my opinion, the best pick on the market.

http://apexpicks.com/

#3 Walt (Anchorage)

Walt (Anchorage)
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 223 posts
  • Location:Anchorage, AK & San Tan Valley, AZ. Claims in the Ruby Mining district, Alaska
  • Interests:Prospecting, Flying and Gold Rush history.
  • Equipment:GB2, MXT, TDI, 3' dredge

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have no experience with that one or any other pick made for detecting. I found the military E tool with pick works great for me. http://www.imsplus.c...roduct_id=30342

#4 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

Ya, but the Technetics pick can do this! :woohoo:

"quickly discriminate iron targets and magnetic hot rocks"

:D

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY :eyesrolling:

#5 wolf

wolf
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Mining, hardrock and placer

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

You got it Walt! i took and drilled the handle on mine and glued a magnet in it :).

#6 rhino

rhino
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:gold prospecting all forms
    wild women
  • Equipment:most all at one time or another

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

i have a pick very simular to it.
it is so old i dont know where i got it any more.
it is about 3" wide and had a long spike at one time.
wood handle broke ages ago! so i welded a long 2.5 foot
handle on it. great for pryin out them big rocks.
i use this pick 90% of the time. it is the best overall
pick i use.

the military pick i use in sandy areas. as i snap the handles easily.

the apex style is a good pick. but wood handle again. i snap them easly.

i think you need a arsenal of at least 3 style of pick for different terrains.

most of my nug's have been under some seriously large,deeply stuck in the ground rocks.
therefor the long handle,and narrow blade,are the best for me.

just my 2 cents

rhino

itsacallin

#7 FrogMick

FrogMick

Thousand Plus Posts

• American Military Veteran
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

Made my own out of the standard GI entrenching tool that didn't come with a pick. Added a 6" spring steel pick with a weld tip and a longer handle, 22'' to the shovel blade open at 90 degrees. Got a couple of different magnets for it and you can get old style and the newer super magnets cheap online. With a little modification to the original carrying case it still fits.

#8 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Anyone use it?
http://www.metaldete...ROD&ProdID=1278

I've got a couple of those I bought a (as I recall) Ace Hardware for about $14 each...Cheers, Unc

#9 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

American Military Veteran

• 670 posts
  • Interests:CAUTION: Reading Terry’s posts can cause involuntary evacuation or urination; erections lasting longer than four-hours; some instances of satanic worship and animal sacrifice have been reported.
  • Equipment:Minelab GPX 4000; Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq; AZ DESERT GOLD Drywasher; GoldBuddy Recirc Sluice; Chris Ralph's book- Fists Full of Gold

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

..I highly recommend Apex Picks, Tracey and Brian and good guys and they have in my opinion, the best pick on the market.

http://apexpicks.com/

The Apex line is one of the best! Unfortunately, they are also very expensive. You can get two Hermit picks for the price of one Talon. I loves my Hermit pick! - Terry
HermitPick.jpg

#10 FrogMick

FrogMick

Thousand Plus Posts

• 1,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

Posted Image
Vigoro Dig Ez Mini Pick with 16 in. Fiberglass Handle Model # 1114100 Store SKU # 656089 $15.97 each @ Home Depot.
Another few bucks for a super magnet on eBay and there ya go! :D

#11 wes

wes
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

The folding German army shovels are also great diggers, and can still be had for cheap, around 25 bucks.

Also if you can find an original, WWII army pick on ebay, they are sweet little diggers and and a neat part of history. Watch out for the knock offs as they are probably Chinese made junk castings that will snap in half.

pic of one: http://cgi.ebay.ie/1...n-/190465924151

#12 wes

wes
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

The folding German army shovels are also great diggers, and can still be had for cheap, around 25 bucks.

Also if you can find an original, WWII army pick on ebay, they are sweet little diggers and and a neat part of history. Watch out for the knock offs as they are probably Chinese made junk castings that will snap in half.

pic of a nice original one: http://cgi.ebay.ie/1...n-/190465924151

Attached Thumbnails

• gm.jpg

#13 jhmalaska

jhmalaska
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

I bought a device 4 or 5 years ago. the head was welded onto the handle at an angle triangular shaped head had a sawtooth pattern on both sides made of thick aluminum. It was more for sawing roots than actual digging. I have used it a few times but mostly it sits in the garage. I liked the one jerry hoagland had up at Cripple river in alaska. It also was triangular in shape the wide part had a 3 inch blade for digging and a point on the other end. We were using it to dig targets at the old trommel operation. I like the home depot pick above it looks pretty solid.

#14 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,477 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Terry, you get what you pay for. Having 2 hermits and a Talon and using both models for several years from my experience the Apex is worth every penny. The Apex is also made with superior quality materials and craftsmanship and will be standing tall when the Hermit is in for a weld job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users