Photo

Dredging in Arizona

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Most anything outdoors. Gold prospecting (Dredging), bowhunting, running.
  • Equipment:Whites Goldmaster GMT Proline 4" dredge. Jobe Yellow Jacket 48" Sluice. Various pans/ classifiers/ tools, and blue bowl. Maybe someday a drywasher.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

Greetings to all. I posted a topic about a month ago about being new to the area, and looking for places to prospect. Well, after talking to a few local prospectors, and getting out to the desert a few times, I am very interested in picking up a good metal detector, and hunting down some gold. I do have a few questions however. I still want to put my dredge in the water, and "clean up" a few of Arizona's streams and rivers. I've just come to realize that I am going to have to drive pretty far away from Yuma to do so. :D Can someone please tell me where I can go do this? I have been looking all over the internet, and can't really find any leads on where to go. I know there has to be a few places around, but I'm just having a hard time locating them on my own, :huh: Any help would be appreciated,
Jason

#2 Guest_IMPDLN_*

Guest_IMPDLN_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Road Runners and GPAA have claims for running a dredge. However I believe both have a 3 inch size limit and since Az. hasn't had much of a winter running water is scarce this year. I'm sure some of the dredge claims have water, and the storm coming in this weekend will bring more. Dredge season just opened April 1 on the National Forest claims. Hope this helps you some. The term "clean up" you use above......pretty much been done around here. What we call rivers are creeks where you come from. Hard to find a spot that hasn't been hammered many times before on Az. streams for dredges. Dennis

#3 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Most anything outdoors. Gold prospecting (Dredging), bowhunting, running.
  • Equipment:Whites Goldmaster GMT Proline 4" dredge. Jobe Yellow Jacket 48" Sluice. Various pans/ classifiers/ tools, and blue bowl. Maybe someday a drywasher.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks Dennis I appreciate that help. I've been meaning to join the GPAA for the last two years, but I guess I've just been pushing it off. Now that I'm stationed out here in Yuma instead of Virginia, there seems to be a bigger reward for joining. I think having access to the claims is worth the fee itself, and there are a few claims back home in Oregon I could access as well. I was also kind of wondering about the Hassayampa River. Has anyone seen people dredging or highbanking up there near Wickenburg? Seems like a good placer river, and I'm curious about that as well. Thanks for the help.

#4 Stonewall

Stonewall
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts
  • Equipment:Allot

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

I just came from there never saw anyone dredging or highbanking on the river but alot of drywashing going on nearby. I asked about it but never was able to get a straight answer about it. Wish I could be more help.

Stonewall

#5 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Stonewall. I saw your pictures from the river, and it looks like there was some good water out there; did you get your pan in the water? I may head out there, and sluice for a while, but wanted to know if it would be worth the drive. Where were you on the river?

#6 Stonewall

Stonewall
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

We didn't find anything in the river. We where near an area call Box Canyon and for the most part all we saw was people bring buckets they had filled out in the desert and were running them at the river. We were staying at the LDMA camp at
Stanton so did most of our prospecting up there.

#7 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

Thanks again, that helps also. I'll keep looking around, and start visiting a couple places. I guess since I'm living in Arizona I just need to learn this desert prospecting thing. :D

#8 Stonewall

Stonewall
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

LOL That was us too. We got a drywasher but have not used it yet been to wet. The folks we are traveling with have a trummel to we can set up to recirculate with so we are using that. Right now we are up in the Golden Valley area but as soon as the weather breaks we are headed out to some of the GPAA claims and Mohave Prospectors claims. We are planning to be out there for a few weeks as long as we are finding something. Your welcome to come and see what we are doing when we get out there.

#9 EdS

EdS
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Diggin dirt, family, out-of-doors stuff
  • Equipment:Pans, shovels, picks, dry washer, gas & electric vaccums, other stuff.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

bigJ, lots of gold in the Wickenbury area, but also lots of claims, so be careful where you work, be it dredge or anything else. My claim is just east of Wickenburg, so do alot of drywashing.

#10 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Bigjosoni, I am sorry to tell you that you will have a difficult time find any place on the Hassayampa that is not Parented, private , claimed or on a wilderness or other protected area. Downstream from the "Box" the sedements get so deep that it would be hard to reach bedrock.
Below the RR bridge the river spreads out so wide the water seldom runs there, people drive their ATVs on it. Look at these links: http://www.sangres.c...ayampariver.htm

On 1/22/10 you would not have wanted to be near it, for a few days you could dredge any where on the LSD.

Good luck dry washing!

Thanks Dennis I appreciate that help. I've been meaning to join the GPAA for the last two years, but I guess I've just been pushing it off. Now that I'm stationed out here in Yuma instead of Virginia, there seems to be a bigger reward for joining. I think having access to the claims is worth the fee itself, and there are a few claims back home in Oregon I could access as well. I was also kind of wondering about the Hassayampa River. Has anyone seen people dredging or highbanking up there near Wickenburg? Seems like a good placer river, and I'm curious about that as well. Thanks for the help.

#11 SSGCasper

SSGCasper
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

Wow talk about a rare sight, when she is a runn'n she is really a running. I live about 500 meters from the lower Hassayampa and have always loved it when someone asks me about panning, fishing, swimming in "The River" near my house. Thanks for sharing the video, I've only seen it raging down here in Tonopah.

#12 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys, I can say that I'm going to ignore the Hassayampa area for now. I'm still finding it a little hard to believe that there are no rivers, or streams to dredge in. I know there are outfitters around here that host white water rafting, and I've seen pictures of beautiful rivers further up north, so I have decided that there is indeed water in the great state of Arizona. Now I just need to know if any of these rivers might have gold in them, and are they off limits to gold prospecting and more specifically dredging. The way I see it, if I could find gold in the state of Virginia, I can definately find gold in the rivers of Arizona. :D Does anyone out there have any advice? I will be getting some desert equipment, but that will come later. Right now I would love to have a place to camp out, cool off (when the weather gets hotter), and find some gold. Not asking for anyone's secret spots, just the name of some rivers, since I'm new to the state.
Thanks again,
Jason

#13 Guest_IMPDLN_*

Guest_IMPDLN_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

Sorry to say, but no. The Salt River is on indian land where the rafting goes on but also not known for gold. The other river people float the Verde River is also not known for gold. Sorry to say anything in Az. you would concider navigable is not known for gold, or not legal to prospect or both. The areas that are known for gold and that can be dredged have minimal water at best and a floating dredge is not usually an advantage, except in extremely wet years. Most claims only allow a maximum 3 incher and rairly have enough water to support or float anything that size. If there was floatable dredge water in this state I'd be there on my cataraft. Dennis

#14 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

What can you guys tell me about the Lynx Creek?????

#15 jimmie19d

jimmie19d
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Working on all dirt toys and small motors.Harley and Import Tech by trade.
  • Equipment:Home Made Gold Vac, Gold Buddy Drywasher,Gold Buddy Mini Banker, Desert Fox Gold Wheel, Blue Bowl, Black Magic System

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

From what I understand you can only pick,pan and shovel. No mech. equipment on lynx.

#16 bigjasoni

bigjasoni
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Thanks again. I was looking at a map earlier, and was wondering about further south on the lynx creek, below the national forest withdrawal area. Is there still water down there, or does it fizzle out into a wash as well? Also, are sluice boxes allowed?

#17 Guest_IMPDLN_*

Guest_IMPDLN_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

Further down Lynx, from Fain Park downstream to confluence with Agua Fria is all private, mostly Fain Ranch property and closed to prospecting. No sluices allowed on Lynx unless maybe you can get permission from a private property owner above Lynx Lake in Walker area. Sorry to have no good news. Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users