Photo

Fibre Glass

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte49er

charlotte49er
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Metal Detecting, Dealing in Junk US Coins, Model Railroading
  • Equipment:Gold Cube; Mackirk Excalibur; Magna Two Black Sand Magnet; Garrett Sea Hunter XL200; Garrett Gold Scorpion; Garrett VLF-TR; Whites GMZ; Electroscope Model 301

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

For some time now I have had thoughts of making a "Negative Plug" and hand laying up my own version of Angus Mackirk's equipment.

I know it's time consuming to make the plug, mostly in surface prep. You want the wax, SMOOTH! SMOOTH! SMOOTH!

But if done right, you can use the plug over and over again. (Wax it between uses.) That is if it works like you want it to. And it allows you to utilize a "Drop Riffle" design that you can only easily get by making it out of wood. (IMO Wood & Water don't mix. I know, SEAL! SEAL! SEAL!) Wood is also heavier than fibre glass.

Has anyone tried this? I have done crude things out of fibre glass and even patched up my Corvette years ago, but never anything beyond that.

#2 Colorado Oro

Colorado Oro
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Why would you want to do that? Your talking about stealing someone else's intellectual property. Do you plan to make more to sell? That makes you a claim jumper in my eyes. To each his own. Hope you have a really good lawyer. If your looking for support here to do this, I hope you don't get it.
CH

#3 charlotte49er

charlotte49er
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Metal Detecting, Dealing in Junk US Coins, Model Railroading
  • Equipment:Gold Cube; Mackirk Excalibur; Magna Two Black Sand Magnet; Garrett Sea Hunter XL200; Garrett Gold Scorpion; Garrett VLF-TR; Whites GMZ; Electroscope Model 301

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Why would you want to do that? Your talking about stealing someone else's intellectual property. Do you plan to make more to sell? That makes you a claim jumper in my eyes. To each his own. Hope you have a really good lawyer. If your looking for support here to do this, I hope you don't get it.
CH

I appreciate your input.

This would be for my own use. I have no desire to sell anything.

Isn't anyone who is building some equipment for himself, copying someone work? Given your input everyone who has ever built a piece of gold equipment is open to a lawysuit.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I just was asking the question if anyone had tried using fibre glass instead of wood or aluminum.

BTW, I have seen drop riffles made out of wood.

#4 michael88

michael88
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, exploring new areas, and just plain driving.
  • Equipment:4000gpx, drywasher

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Charlotte49er,

I have often thought of this myself, trying to figure out how to make the lightest possible equipment while it still being rugged and tough enough for the situations we would put it through. Fiberglass, in MY opnion would not be able to hold up to the job as well as metal and even wood does. Thinking about this further, the best bet would be to make the riffles out of carbon fiber or kevlar; much tougher than fiberglass. Even then, I don't think it would be as dependable as metal or wood, or even a rigid but flexible plastic. I just really don't know.

We all borrow designs from somewhere. There are only so many different designs for trommels, sluices, drywashers, etc. I wouldn't consider it stealing if you copied a design. When building my drywasher, I bought plans and built it. If I could have created my own plans, I would have. So if you can look at something, make plans for it, then build it, kudos to you! I would also say that Angus Mackirk got his original designs from someone else and built upon his from there. Who knows. A sluice is a sluice and a drywasher a drywasher per sey.

I'm not here to create any tension or anger. Just my two cents.

Mike

#5 azdave35

azdave35
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

i wouldnt worry about using someone's else's idea...more than likely it was someone's idea that he used...and i seriously doubt if he has a patent on anything and more than likely angus wouldnt give a shit if you copied his equipment for your own use..as far as fiberglass goes it would work for what you are wanting to do...you just have to layer it thick...it is very strong as long as it isnt too thin...one of the best shaker tables i ever owned used a fiberglass top and it held up very ,very well..i have made lots of equipment with it and had great luck...give it a try and let us know how it goes

#6 charlotte49er

charlotte49er
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

Just for the record, I wasn't going to copy someone's design 100%. I wanted to combine several ideas into one. A "saw tooth" section, followed by a drop riffle. Unless you have some really sophisticated equipment, the saw tooth would be the toughest to create. In Fiber glass, it really wouldn't be that hard. (As long as you get the mat tucked in and any bubbles worked out.

However, I went a different direction. I went with drop riffles under punch plate then onto regular riffles over Vortex matting. (Rough top conveyor belt.) Trouble was my riffles were not angled and need to be competely redone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All my ideas can't be a winner. LOL

#7 Goldeagle

Goldeagle
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting , working on my claims .Exploring , Metal detecting old mining camps around my claims .

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Well lets just make a federal case out of this . I have one of Angus Macs sluice ,nicely made from heavy P V C . If I made a mold from this box and started to produce his design ,then I would expect an unhappy call from Augus . I have made sluice boxes over the years ,so when I looked at Keenes catalog and thought ,I'm going to make a great big box that looks like that. I wasn't trying to copy their design .That sluice ended up 8 foot long,2 foot wide . I don't think Jerry Keene would be bothered . I.Purchased a lot of Keene equipment over trhe years .

So take a look at D Y I ,am I going to get in trouble for looking at all the designs online then designing my own crusher . Damn it does look like some of those designs , so don't jump to conclusions , I guess I should remove my post ,I might be called a highgrader , claim jump or a plan stealer ., so much for showing projects on D Y I .

My opinion is save your money ,buy a sluice from Angus you don't want to piss him off or go to California Sluice buy one from him ,nice sluice with drop riflles .. I have severall .

49er its fun to make your own equipment so carry on ,you are not stealing designs .

#8 Herb

Herb
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Detecting-Prospecting
    Racing RC Boats
    Camping

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi 49er
Legely you can copy anything for your own use. Many items out there
can not be patented as the design is what the patent office calls obvious.
Example The Clamp Thing, it's a cable clamp, basicly like hundreds of others
designs. SuperLite Shafts...same thing...can't be patented.
This is the why there are so many knock offs out there. I say build one
for yourself and have fun with it!

Regards
Herb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users