• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tbcampb

tbcampb
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:anything outdoors.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

hello everyone, i recently purchased a royal drywasher (blower type) from a & b prospecting only took it out twice now. it seems all the heavies are going to only one side of the drywasher not sure if this is normal ? i tryed different angles, blower speeds and everything. it seems it shakes alot more than it should maybe too much counter weight on the the fan ? any help or advice much appriciated thank you.

#2 crookedrecords

crookedrecords
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

I took a look at the A & B prospecting website. They are a reputable company (that I have used to buy replacement drywasher fabric from in the past). The royal drywasher looks to be a clone of a pretty popular brand of drywasher and from the photos I don't see any red flags as far as construction issues.

That being said, I have noticed that my drywasher has behaved in almost as many different ways as it has been set up. One of which has been that the "heavies", gold flakes and pickers did happen to collect in one certain area on the riffle tray (the upper right hand side). Because it was above the first riffle in the tray I wasn't alarmed but rather wished to learn how to duplicate the result because I could watch the gold collect and just float in place as I was feeding the drywasher and when I turned it off I didn't even have to pan the concentrates to see what I got. They were just staring me in the face. This result is very similar to a shaker table by the way....

I always try to set my drywasher up in a somewhat level area (left to right as the up/down can be adjusted with the chain). I will smooth an area out with a rake and then use fine sand as a bed to put the feet on and then hold it in place with rocks. I do use a level to check this.

Before I even run any possible gold bearing material I will run similar material and watch how it behaves. I see how it flows over the riffles and make sure it is even in depth of flow left to right.

I also happen to pre-classify all of my material that I run through my drywasher. I find it is actually faster than trying to separate everything on the hopper. There is also the benefit of finer gold recovery.

As far as to much vibration goes as long as stuff isn't flying over the sides I would think that vibration is good. It gets the heavies to the bottom.

If you are worried you can also do a popular modification where you apply a piece of tape to the bottom of your riffle tray to create a little dead air space in front of the riffles to help with the fine gold recovery....

hope this helps if you have any other questions be sure to ask...Here is what my drywasher looked like...You should be able to see the pickers...
05142010408.jpg
05142010407.jpg

#3 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

I dont know anything about drywashers :shrug: ....Just a couple thoughts...although I should probably keep my mouth shut. :lol:

Maybe use a level to check the riffle box.
Are you getting the required air volume per machine specs.
Is everything square on the riffle box.

#4 tbcampb

tbcampb
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:anything outdoors.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:43 AM

alright the pics that crookedrecords posted is very similar to what is going on with my set up minus all the pickers in there lucky him, mine is trapping most of the gold at the top right corner riffle and the 3rd riffle down right corner thats what i have been noticing durning cleanups. I guese as long as its cathing most of the gold i should be o.k. i just got concerened cause my buddy has a gold buddy mini and the heavies are spread out evenly across the riffles although it doese seem to classify heavy material sizes in different riffles. thanks for your info and pics.

#5 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

If its all going to one side something is off kilter (level or the box is hung up on one side) and you are losing gold, maybe just a little but its still loss

#6 Bob T.

Bob T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

If your using eye bolts and S hooks on the header of the riffle box [some people use springs]
check them every time you set up to make sure that they are hanging straight down and moving free. I usually hall my washer laying on its side and once in awhile one of the hooks will squirrel around and get hung up making one side of the box higher than the other.
When your running, watch the flow in the box and if it starts to build on one side just lift the front leg of that side [maybe an inch] and let a few of the tails run under it and it will level out. It will also make a difference if you lift a front or back leg, sometimes its necessary to do both. Its a big job, takes all of 5 or 10 seconds.
If you have the washer set up on some tails check it often as the vib's will sometimes cause it to settle and become a bit out of level. :080402gudl_prv:

Bob T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users