Lynx Creek

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3rdgear

3rdgear
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Old West,
  • Equipment:Gold Pans, Falcon Metal Detector(MD20), Bucket Sluice Concentrators(2), BlueBowl, Burro pick, rock hammer, pocket dredge, GoldnSand dredge, Catch it II Water Table

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

My wife and I went out Sunday to Lynx Creek, as it is the most accessible spot for us to go. I am disabled and my wife isn't in the greatest physical shape in the world either. Anyway, I parked close to the creek, and on the East bank of the creek, it looks like somebody did some heavy excavation. I was under the impression the whole Lynx Creek area is reserved for pick, pan, and shovel. Hand tools only. Maybe this was excavated using hand tools, but they certainly did not fill their holes back in leaving quite a scar on the creek bank. I kick myself for not taking my camera, but I forgot it. Could have used my cell phone camera but I forgot to do that too. It is acts like this that will give the "enviro nuts" ammunition against our hobby. Maybe PV Prospectors can get together and repair the damage. What do you say Nolan?

#2 Rick T.

Rick T.
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, hiking, aviation archeology, history, tools, tinkering.
  • Equipment:Picks, pans, shovels, classifiers, metal detectors, highbanker, drywasher.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hey Tom,

I've seen the same thing out there and yes, the destruction was brought about by nothing more than pick, pan, and shovel. One good flash flood sets everything right though, and you'd never recognize a trace of the digging immediately after one.

I'm going to get out there either Friday, Saturday, or Monday. If you're available and want to head out there with me let me know via PM. (I'm still green and need some pointers.)

Rick

#3 3rdgear

3rdgear
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Old West,
  • Equipment:Gold Pans, Falcon Metal Detector(MD20), Bucket Sluice Concentrators(2), BlueBowl, Burro pick, rock hammer, pocket dredge, GoldnSand dredge, Catch it II Water Table

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

I am probably no less green than yourself Rick. Unfortunately, my physical condition doesn't allow me to work as hard as I'd like to, to remedy the situation. It is so very frustrating, and embarrassing for me to try to participate in group activities, knowing that I can no longer do enough to feel like I am pitching in with my fair share. I have always been a very independant person, standing on my own 2 feet, not accepting help from anybody else. Now, I am forced to stand by and watch when I used to lead the way. Enough whining.

I would love to come out any one of those days, but, I have to depend on my wife to be with me, as my condition sometimes demands that she take over driving or such. She is booked up this weekend with her Mary Kay stuff. Thanks for the invite though.

Tom

#4 LarryAzAu

LarryAzAu
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Nugget Hunting, Lapidary, Sluicing, Wood Working, Camping, Hiking, 4x4ing, Computer Gaming/Fixing PC's, Movies, Music, Panning, & Drywashing!!!
  • Equipment:Minelab SD 2200 v2, gold Pans, Shovel, Pick,High Banker Sluice, Keene 140 Drywasher, and a Blue Ford Ranger Edge...

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

I found a spot further south of the recreational area on Lynx where they actually dredged the creek! It was in July on one of Woody's outings of the Phoenix GPAP. One of the kids got his leg pined from a rock that fell on him in the dredge hole, luckily he was ok, and it was a very large rock. Then the following month they had dredged that spot even deeper! Here is a pic of the hole in August, and made easy on us to pan into it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0494.JPG
  • IMG_0487.JPG
  • IMG_0490.JPG
  • IMG_0492.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users