• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,479 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

Just curious how many of you have seen these types of pay layers?

I've seen them several times with most of the gold off the bedrock and I have seen where the layer of heavies has no gold at all.

Your thoughts?

Most of the gold you find is on bedrock, but not always wink.gif

Many a drywasher tossed has tossed out the good stuff blink.gif

Yeah I know - great illustration laugh.gif

#2 Ted

Ted
  • Prospector / Miner 2
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

The best fine gold placer that I ever saw was like that. In that particular wash, you could follow the black sand streaks on top of the overburden to find the gold. The overburden was at least 2 feet deep. Black sand streaks from the top to 4 inches down carried 40 to 70 colors per two scoop pan. Certain places carried over 100 colors per pan. They were small colors but man, what a lot of them.

I scraped 10 feet and down 4 inches and got about a pennyweight in small fines. There was a nice big rock in the middle of the streak which produced about 70 colors in a pan down to about 10 inches and then the gold just disappeared. Hadn't even got to bedrock on it.

lol, if you guys knew where this place was, you'd just sh*t! I won't be able to reveal it for another 6 months or so. icon_mrgreen.gif

#3 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Ted @ Feb 13 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol, if you guys knew where this place was, you'd just sh*t! I won't be able to reveal it for another 6 months or so. icon_mrgreen.gif

What, after your claim papers are filed, and finalized .... biggrin.gif cool.gif

Nice diagram,chart,geometry exam rod laugh.gif

I suppose gold that is fine ,and coarse and is more boyant might sort of get locked up with coarse black sands ,and they would kind hang out together.
Or the gold could be fresh from serious flooding of hillsides ,and locked up with its good buddy black sands in the process....Hmmmmm dry.gif

Neat stuff Rod

#4 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

oops double post ....

#5 russford

russford

No longer a member here

• Prospector / Miner
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

In areas where you have multiple flood layers of different types of material, the paystreak can be in any one or more of them. Each layer should be tested seperately. The problem is that it is generally hard to work one layer without working all of them. I once found a good deposit of pinhead gold in the top layer of blowsand (story on my site). That was easy to work. I know on the beach at Nome the pay layers are more obvious and they do try and work them as much as possible without digging the other layers.

......... rf

#6 ARIZONA GUIDE

ARIZONA GUIDE
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

How fast and how often will gold travel with out agitation from water. If your black sand ls hard and dry will gold just fall through it or will it hang in that location for a while or until the water pushes it down. I have no answer and i am looking for Russ or some of you that hae fallowed it long enough that you may have an answer.

Russ and i must have been posting at the same time and then my kids needed me and i came back and pushed send. That kind of answerd one of the thoughts i had.

#7 Reno Chris

Reno Chris
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

Russ nailed it - its a flood layer. Where I dredge in California the river has a very pronounced flood layer. You dredge down through the loose stuff, then hit a layer of hard packed material. The gold sits on top of the hard packed layer. You can dredge down through the hard pack layer, but its lots of work and there is very little gold in it. Often with these situations, unless the bedrock crevices pay real well (and sometimes it does), you want to just take the loose material on top as the deeper gold on bedrock is not a large enough in quantity to make the extra digging worth your time.

As Rod implied in his post sometimes they are hard to recognize and dont get worked properly.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users