Photo

BLACK SAND AND FINE GOLD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sailorinaz

sailorinaz
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting and swimming.

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

I am wondering if anyone on the forum has ever separated fine gold from black sand. (I am talking really fine dust gold). If you did it, I would like to know how you did it and if it was worth the effort.

I have read a number of articles on separating fine gold from black sands and their seems to be a lot of different opinions and methods from cooking to using CLR, etc.

From what I have read, the blue bowl seems to be the best manufactured tool for really small stuff.

#2 Eric

Eric
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

I have dredged in a few areas that if you do not seperate your fines from your black sand you will hardly get any gold at all. First I classify my concentrates to the smallest screen I have. Then I spoon feed my concentrates through a very aggressive recirculating sluicebox I find its best just to use a small pan and a magnet to remove the black sand from the gold. I pan the black sand towards the end riffles in my pan then just magnet out the last riffle in the small pan. I never let any material fall out of the pan. If you have clear water and good eye sight you can watch the black sand slowly wash to the end riffle. What isnt magnetic can easily been rinsed away from the gold with a snifter bottle or with a few taps on the side of your pan. It takes some time to do this but the fines can really add up and every speck is worth the effort in my opinion. John AKA PanningintheBradshaws...is a master at seperating black sand from gold hopefully he or others can chime in and give some advice also. Goodluck!

Eric

#3 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,481 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

I wrote this article years ago, it might help beer.gif

http://www.arizonago...m/blacksand.htm

#4 lazy prospector

lazy prospector
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (sailorinaz @ Sep 23 2007, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am wondering if anyone on the forum has ever separated fine gold from black sand. (I am talking really fine dust gold). If you did it, I would like to know how you did it and if it was worth the effort.

I have read a number of articles on separating fine gold from black sands and their seems to be a lot of different opinions and methods from cooking to using CLR, etc.

From what I have read, the blue bowl seems to be the best manufactured tool for really small stuff.
Hi you are right about the blue bowl it is the best i have one not only can you get the fine stuff but i use it all the time just to seperate my gold from black sand you have to use a -30mesh screen that is all i use but you copuld use a -50 or -100 but a -30 will get you by also i use dawn dish soap in the water to just enough to kill the water tention so your fines dont float away hope this helps you you could try mercury but a little dangerous so dont mess with the merc lazy prospector

#5 pannininthebradshaws

pannininthebradshaws
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Hey Jason,

It's about time you made it here, it only took you 2 years tongue.gif

I will try to get a You-tube video up this week showing how I get my gold out of my black sand, quick and easy to do.
There are places I hunt where the black sand is larger than the gold, but there is so much fine gold that its worth keepin it, when I hunt here I take my cons home and use a Blue Bowl.

#6 sailorinaz

sailorinaz
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Rod @ Sep 23 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wrote this article years ago, it might help beer.gif

http://www.arizonago...m/blacksand.htm

Rod, really cool. Looks like you use very little water and a very light flow with this system.

#7 sailorinaz

sailorinaz
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

Thanks guys! As always great advice and thanks for sharing the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users