• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Tony

Uncle Tony
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

Does any one use the vacking technique?
I saw this on a CA gold mining site. They use a wet/dry vacuum with a small gas powered motor on top. It vacuums between rocks. Iguess they sort our the dirt later.

#2 Rod

Rod

Chief Imagination Officer and Nuggeteer

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Twitter:@AtomicNumber79
  • Interests:Humor, laugh at myself all the time.
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Welcome Uncle Tony beer.gif

This is the rig we use for vacuum work:
http://www.keeneeng....ategory_Code=DW

#3 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:49 PM

I would imagine that most of the contributers to the forum have used a vac ,and or currently do.

I sure use one! pirate.gif They are a fun, and good tool to have in the arid climates santa.gif

Heres my homemade vac. Slow to start but she will run all day biggrin.gif

#4 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts
  • Equipment:GP Extreme, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT (sold to AZBill), Keene 140 Drywasher, Super Hi-Vac, Ford 4x4s, Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Keene RC1 Rock Crusher, Hard Rock Mining Tools

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:55 PM

Nice Job Adam beer.gif

#5 Jose

Jose
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 591 posts
  • Equipment:Minelab GP3000, Keene 140 Drywasher, Yamaha 660 Rhino, Recirculating Sluice

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

Quick vac-pac question: Any of you ever experience any static electricity when sucking up material??? Man, my vac hose sure does get sparky!!! Even with gloves on I can feel it....Not very pleasant and down-right annoying.

#6 sailorinaz

sailorinaz
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting and swimming.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:30 PM

Jose: I have heard about other people having this problem. One guy said "I have given some thought to wrapping a wire around the hose near the end and grounding the wire".

I have also read this precaution: "Also be careful with the static electricity that will build up on the surface of the material in the bucket. Never try to add fuel to the blower when when the blower is on the bucket. The static discharge can cause a substantial fire hazard".

Uncle Tony: I don't own a vac and have never done it, but have read about it, etc. There are a couple manufactured vacs on the market and also instructions to build your own or even kits you can buy. For the most part you vac down in cracks and crevices and on top of bedrock. Take the material home and pan or whatever works for you. These guys on the forum can provide a lot more information.

#7 Jose

Jose
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 591 posts
  • Equipment:Minelab GP3000, Keene 140 Drywasher, Yamaha 660 Rhino, Recirculating Sluice

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (sailorinaz @ Sep 28 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have also read this precaution: "Also be careful with the static electricity that will build up on the surface of the material in the bucket. Never try to add fuel to the blower when when the blower is on the bucket. The static discharge can cause a substantial fire hazard".

Wow, great advice! That could seriously ruin your day.....

#8 Arkyrick

Arkyrick
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:There is nothing that can't be cured by a mason jar filled with shine cept the shine in the bottom of your pan

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

Tony the first real prospecting trip I was on we mainly used a vac we spent all day sucking up crevices and carrying back buckets of dirt that night we sat in at the Motel in Crown King running that dirt through a Gold Buddy mini highbanker and I cant tell you the excitement we felt when several hundred pieces of gold showed up in the bottom of our pan. It's a great way for a beginner to learn to prospect.

#9 Adam

Adam

• Prospector / Miner
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

Hey thanks Rod biggrin.gif ...It was a fun build...Hell I might have to dust it off ,and use it this weekend innocent0009.gif

Theres a motel in Crown King? Thats some info I could have used a couple years ago Arkyrick. laugh.gif

#10 russford

russford

No longer a member here

• Prospector / Miner
  • 345 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

Had an interesting day yesterday. Went out with the Vac Pac and a friend to suck up some gold. rolleyes.gif
We were on an ol trail that ran perpenduclar to the slope of the hillside and we found seven spots where they had built culverts under the trail. Only these were different. They were built out of wood. That's right...solid thick board planks just like shoring in a mine built into a square culvert. The spaces between the planks ran from 0" to about 2". We figured they had to be real old although the wood itself was still in good condition for the most part. If I get back that way I'll take my camera and get some pics. Anyone ever seen anything like that? I'll let you know how the samples go. I really like spots like that where you can pick up a number of samples from different washes in a short time. Beats the heck out of hiking from one to the next. One of them should have carried gold. wink.gif

....... rf

#11 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

Any of you ever experience any static electricity when sucking up material??? Man, my vac hose sure does get sparky!!!

Personally I've never experienced it in years and years of vacing using home-made units and Keene units, what kind of a setup do you have?

Sounds like there may be some weird thing going on with your spark plug unsure.gif

#12 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

AMERICAN MILITARY MEMBER and MAJOR MINER

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts
  • Interests:Gold prospecting-Meeting people- Helping miners-Everyday Living.

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Jose @ Sep 28 2007, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick vac-pac question: Any of you ever experience any static electricity when sucking up material??? Man, my vac hose sure does get sparky!!! Even with gloves on I can feel it....Not very pleasant and down-right annoying.

YES

My homemade unit uses a Ryobi but my buddies is a Echo. Both of them will shock hell out of you when the humidty is low, especialy on bed rock. Run a copper wire down your hose if it bothers you.

The explanation is that the moving dust creates static electricty and it has to discharge somewhere.

This is what causes grain elevators to explode on cold dry winter days: Dust-Movement-Discharge- grain dust is explosive.

Proof: take a 1 gallon cofee can with a tight fitting lid ( same one you used to bucket pan with) put a spark ingitor from a BBQ pit or similar through the lid, put about 1/3 TSP of plain white flour (grain dust) in can, shake violently, make spark, Don't do this in the house, Don't look at lid, Not responsible if you blow your self up!!

This is the same experment that fire departments use to demonstrate for training and they even use it in schools.

Keep your gas can away from your Vac while it is running, especialy when the humidity is very low.

Link to some info:http://forums.firehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-30443.html
Max

#13 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (russford @ Sep 29 2007, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had an interesting day yesterday. Went out with the Vac Pac and a friend to suck up some gold. rolleyes.gif
We were on an ol trail that ran perpenduclar to the slope of the hillside and we found seven spots where they had built culverts under the trail. Only these were different. They were built out of wood. That's right...solid thick board planks just like shoring in a mine built into a square culvert. The spaces between the planks ran from 0" to about 2". We figured they had to be real old although the wood itself was still in good condition for the most part. If I get back that way I'll take my camera and get some pics. Anyone ever seen anything like that? I'll let you know how the samples go. I really like spots like that where you can pick up a number of samples from different washes in a short time. Beats the heck out of hiking from one to the next. One of them should have carried gold. wink.gif

....... rf

Russ, I have saw something like that, currently racking brain that has CRS to remember where, possibily AK or CO.
Also traveled road some where that had two planks set on edge across road in many places, planks even with top of surface, some at an angle, top side open,about 2", bottom side blocked apart with another plank about a 2"x4" on edge ,obivously for drainage, again CRS has struck, I will look in my pictures, maybe??? Your spot should be gold catchers.
Max

#14 Rod

Rod

• Root Admin
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:08 PM

Wild stuff, I've vacced all over the state in all kinds of bedrock and weather and have never had any static using a vac

Just goes to show how we all have different experiences beer.gif

Just in case you are reading and have never seen a gold vac in action biggrin.gif

Here is a movie from late 2005 or early 2006 Ted and I made:

http://www.arizonago...Prospectors.wmv

And another movie where Laszlo and I use a vac (late 2005 or early 2006 ):

http://arizonagoldpr...Prospectors.wmv

#15 Randy Wright

Randy Wright
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:08 PM

I made my own too! Had pictures of it up somewhere. Spent less than $150 on it smile.gif Had to get a new motor, got the Poulan Pro, the other one was a POS.

#16 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

• Prospector / Miner
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Randy Wright @ Sep 29 2007, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made my own too! Had pictures of it up somewhere. Spent less than $150 on it smile.gif Had to get a new motor, got the Poulan Pro, the other one was a POS.

I have built several over the years, the 1st pic is the first one I ever built from an article in "Popular Mining" about 1993, it was a Sears upright blower mounted on an old shop vac. The 2nd pic is of my present vac 1st setup to Vac,2nd pic is setup to run drywasher, 3rd is drywasher. I much prefer horizonal motors for balance purposes. My first preference is "Echo" 1000 series but they are pricey,this one is a Roybi and is complety satisfactoryfor less than $100, used for 6 months with no problems. one of my friends built his with a "Poulan" upright motor and is on his 3rd motor in 3 months due to piston ring seizing. I do not run mine wide open and I use it to run my "Goldbuddy" dry washer also,. Use a good heavey duty bucket, the orange ones from "Home Depot will colaspe from suction. You can get free instructions and order the parts needed or a complete unit from any of the affilites of:http://www.lifestylestore.com/ls_vacuum_1.html
I like 3 1/2 gallon buckets.

Attached Thumbnails

• image0.jpg
  • DCP04612.JPG
  • DCP04609.JPG
  • DCP04599.JPG

#17 Jose

Jose
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Rod @ Sep 29 2007, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I've never experienced it in years and years of vacing using home-made units and Keene units, what kind of a setup do you have?

Sounds like there may be some weird thing going on with your spark plug unsure.gif

Hi Rod,

I have a homemade vac. I think the problem may be the smooth-bore hose I'm using. I'll try the ground wire trick next week when I head out looking for the yellow stuff. Various_Artists-punk.gif

#18 fishing8046

fishing8046
  • Prospector / Miner
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

I actually bought a blower for $40. thinking I was going to make a vacuum and instead I eneded up buying an 18v Dewalt corless vacuum I already had a few batteries and can run for a couple of hours with them it's pretty strong and no gas to mess with I just charge up the 5 batteries and go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users